Easy Chicken Salad with Grapes and Pecans is a creamy chicken salad recipe using cooked chicken and fresh ingredients. But the real treat is the taste! This southern chicken salad recipe is fresh, delicious, and so satisfying- it really is the best chicken salad with grapes I have ever made.
Try it as a chicken salad sandwich with a side of salty potato chips. Or use an ice cream scoop and pile the creamy goodness on a bed of lettuce with a hearty scoop of Greek Potato Salad. Then add a glass of Strawberry Sunset Lemon Drop with or without the vodka, and you have a refreshing, light afternoon meal!
My classic chicken salad is sure to be your new spring and summer favorite recipe. The red seedless grapes add a touch of fresh sweetness, while the creamy dressing and the tender pieces of chicken pull together the rest of the cold salad recipe.
Why you’ll love this recipe!
- Rotisserie Chicken- Chicken that is pre-cooked right from the grocery store makes everything so much easier. And I love the juicy flavor.
- A Pretty Salad- Yes, this salad is beautiful on the plate or in a fresh croissant. Serve it to your friends for lunch and they will think you are serving them a real treat.
- Take it With You- You can easily transport this salad to a Bible study meeting, a friend's house, or a family picnic. Just store it in an air-tight container and toss it in the cooler!
- So Easy- This chicken salad has 5 basic ingredients and whips up in no time!
One of the benefits of food being my career, is I get to try it over and over until a recipe is just how my family and I like it. This means my recipes are tried and true!
So while some may think chicken salad is bland or average, this easy chicken salad recipe packs bursts of fresh flavor, crunches of veggies, the nutty flavor of pecans, and all that creamy chicken.
Summertime is the best time for homemade chicken salad or chicken salad sandwiches. Classic Egg Salad is another spring and summer go-to recipe. Oh, and a Pasta Salad is another springtime recipe that is light, fresh, and has great flavor.
There is just something about a cold salad on a hot day that is clearly the best way to put a pep in your step. And you can make it ahead and enjoy the delicious recipe all week.
How to Make Chicken Salad with Grapes
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and instructions!
Step 1 | Prep Ingredients
Gather the simple ingredients, wash the fruit and veggies, chop and get ready to assemble this easy meal. Then place all the fresh ingredients on the cutting board into a large bowl and stir.
*Pro-tip: If you have a bit more time, roasting the pecans is a great way to add extra flavor! Just chop the nuts, and toast them in the oven while you pull or shred the tender chicken.
Step 2 | Stir All Together
Now you can add in the mayonnaise and the seasonings. Give it a good mix until all ingredients are covered in the creamy mayo.
Then give it the taste test to be sure you add the right amount of salt and pepper. Remember, a little salt goes a long way!
Step 3 | How Will You Serve It?
Honestly, this is the hardest step of all. There are so many great ways to enjoy this classic chicken salad with grapes recipe.
- Try it on a croissant or on whole-grain bread for the best chicken salad sandwich.
- Scoop the salad onto a bed of lettuce and add grapes and nuts on top to garnish- maybe even a sprig of parsley or fresh dill.
- Take a small bowl and make lettuce cups with a hearty ice cream scoop of the salad- then squeeze a touch of lemon juice over the top for extra flavor!
- Or try making the hearty salad into fresh lettuce wraps to-go.
That is the great thing about this classic recipe. You can try one way today and another tomorrow. Figure out your own great way to serve this healthy chicken salad recipe!
- Make it your own: Be creative with the way you present the salad. garnish top and serve with your own flair.
- The next day: Make extra chicken for dinner so you can easily whip up this simple recipe the next day!
- For sandwiches: If you know you will be making it into a sandwich, chop all the ingredients a little smaller so they stay with the bread a bit better!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most commonly asked questions about this recipe. If you don't find the answer to yours leave a comment below, I'll get back to you with an answer.
Try a half-and-half mixture of mayo and plain Greek yogurt, or go full yogurt. This simple recipe change cuts calories and is good for you. It makes the salad lighter and offers a little tang from the yogurt.
Keep it chilled! You never want mayo to sit at room temperature or in the heat of the day for long. Only pull the chicken salad out of the fridge or cooler when ready to serve.
Sure you can. Just cook the chicken in your slow cooker with chicken broth the day before, or boil, shred and chill in the morning. You can also simmer the chicken in some stock on the stovetop for about 20 minutes or until cooked through. Add in any extra spices or seasonings you love for added flavor.
Substitutions and Variations:
Cover with foil or plastic wrap or place in an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator for 3 days.
For this recipe, you can freeze the chicken to thaw on the day you want to make the salad, but I do not recommend freezing the entire salad as it can get mushy.
Chicken Salad with Grapes and Pecans
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
- ¾ to 1 cup mayo
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- Add chopped chicken to a large bowl along with celery, grapes, chopped pecans, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Stir together until just combined.
- Serve over a bed of lettuce or on bread or a croissant for a chicken salad sandwich.
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.