Pecan Pound Cake Recipe
This classic southern Pecan Pound Cake Recipe is a moist and tender pound cake packed with butter pecan flavor! It's a perfect blend of traditional pound cake filled with crunchy toasted pecans in every bite!
- 2 cups butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 6 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour sifted spooned and leveled; divided
- 1 cups buttermilk room temperature
- 4 cups chopped toasted pecans
Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl toss pecans with ¼ cup flour
Beat butter on medium speed with a stand or hand mixer. Gradually add in granulated and brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy (3 to 5 minutes). Add eggs in 1 at a time, beating until just blended. Stir in vanilla.
In a medium bowl stir together baking powder, salt, and 3 ¾ cups flour. Add this flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk. Beging and ending with flour mixture until just combined. Do not over mix. Gently stir pecans into the batter.
Spray a 10-inch tube or 10 to 12 cup bundt pan with baking spray or butter and flour pan. Pour batter into the pan and smooth the top with spatula.
Bake for 70 to 90 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out mostly clean. Check at about 45 minutes and if the cake is browning too quickly add foil over the top and finish baking. Cool in pan for 15 minutes and then turn onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
LOAF PAN: Pour batter into two greased 9X5 inch loaf pans. Bake at 325° for 45 to 60 minutes. You can also halve the ingredients to make one.
- Always use real butter for a pound cake. Don't substitute!
- Make sure to generously grease the pan with baking spray or butter and then dust with flour so that the cake will not stick.
- Bring all your ingredients to room temperature. That means the butter, eggs, and buttermilk. This allows the ingredients to emulsify and come together properly. If they are cold they won't bake properly.
- Make sure each egg is mixed in before the next is added.
- Leave at least 2 inches from the batter to the top of the pan. If your pan is smaller and you have extra, fill a few muffin tins with the extra. If this is the case watch your cook time it may need to be decreased.
- Bake low and slow (325° not 350°). Pound cake is heavy and requires a cooler oven temperature. It can take up to 90 minutes for a cake to bake.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 634kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 17g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 261mg | Potassium: 201mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 749IU | Vitamin C: -15mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 2mg