Easy Ground Beef and Potatoes Skillet
Easy Ground Beef and Potatoes Skillet is a delicious yet simple meal made from staple pantry ingredients. This cheesy homemade dinner is quick enough for a weeknight meal and packed full of amazing flavors your family will request time and time again.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 to 1.5 pounds ground beef
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- ½ cup yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 to 8 medium potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- 2 cups of shredded colby jack cheese
In a large skillet, with lid, add in ground beef and crumble with spatula. Season with salt and pepper. Cook and crumble ground beef until done or browned. Do not drain fat off after cooking.
Add in diced onion and fresh garlic and stir.
Next add in thinly sliced potatoes.
Pour in heavy cream or milk and stir to combine.
Cover with lid and cook on medium low heat for 15 minutes. Then remove lid and stir well.
Place lid back on and cook for another 20 minutes. Check potatoes to see if they are done (tender when pierced with a fork). If not repeat another 10 minutes and check. Cook until potatoes are done.
Once potatoes are fork tender, sprinkle cheese on top. Place the lid on skillet and cook for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Garnish with parsley or sliced green onion and serve.
- Make sure not to drain your drippings. You need to grease to cook and season the potatoes.
- I like to use Russet potatoes, you can also use Yukon gold or a Red potato if that is what you have on hand. Keep it simple and use items you have.
- Slice the potatoes really thin so they will cook nicely in this short amount of time.
- If things start to stick badly when simmering, add a little beef or chicken stock or even water. You will notice them sticking a touch and that is okay. I don't usually do not need to add any liquid. There is enough moisture oil from the hamburger meat and the cream.
Serving: 1 | Calories: 627kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 138mg | Sodium: 364mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g