I have this true love relationship with Italian Food. Every bit of it. However, it all started with Homemade Meat Sauce, Spaghetti Sauce, or whatever you want to call it, I am over the moon about it.
I have made many sauces over the years and sometimes even used that jarred stuff you can buy at the store! I know go ahead and gasp. But I am here to tell you that this sauce is worth writing home about. It may even write back to thank you!
I think I am so in love with Italian Food because it is full of garlic or maybe the basil. Ok well I cannot choose I just adore it all. It’s so comforting and filling and did I mention the garlic. Wasn't garlic was created for the angels, because it is so heavenly! Well anyway, I think you get how much I LIKE this SAUCE so I hope that you will love it too.
You can top your favorite spaghetti noodles, or use it in lasagna! Where ever you put it… I promise it will make you happy to have it in your life.
For this recipe, I am making it in my Instant Pot. But don’t leave if you don’t have one. You can make this on the stove top too. I am giving the slow cook feature on the IP a try. The fact that you can Sauté and cook all in one pot makes me dance :).
Start out by browning the ground beef and sausage with the Sauté feature. Season your meat to your taste. Salt & Pepper it or garlic salt like we do at the Lee house! You can cook this in a skillet/Dutch oven on the stovetop on medium high heat also. Cook until done and then add in the diced onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Drain meat and return to the pot. Next add in all your spices and wine and let it cook for 1 minute before adding in the tomatoes, sugar, salt & pepper. Then STIR.
Set your IP to 10 minutes on High Pressure or use the slow cook feature (or pour into crock pot) on low for 6 to 8 hours, high for 3 or 4 hours or simmer on stove top for 1 or more hours if you like. I love when it cooks a nice long while. All those flavors just get all cozy and yummy!
This sauce is soooooo good! I just can’t wait to slather my noodles and dip my garlic bread in it! Garlic is GREAT!
Serve over your favorite pasta! My house says it must be spaghetti noodles. Unless I am making lasagna, this is the bomb in lasagna! I will share that recipe soon !
Homemade Meat Sauce
- 2 pounds Lean Ground Beef
- ½ to ¾ pound Italian sausage or ground pork
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 4 or 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 2- 29 ounce large cans crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 ounce tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Sauté ground beef and sausage on sauté setting in instant pot or on stovetop in skillet on medium high heat until done. Season your meat while cooking to your taste. It will turn a greyish color.
- Drain on plate with paper towels and then return to pan.
- Stir in onion and garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Add in basil, oregano and red pepper and mix into meat. Then add wine and cook for 1 minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper and stir.
- Set instant pot to high pressure for 10 minutes or use the slow cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. If sauteing in skillet pour into slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. You can also cook on stove top on low (simmer) for 1 to 3 hours.