This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Let’s put a little spice in Back to School Lunches. These Lunch Box Walking Tacos are a fiesta waiting to happen at the lunch table. Are your kids (or maybe even you) crying NO to boring sandwiches? This is the perfect way to keep away the sandwich blues!
*Soulfully Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Please note: This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, to help with blog expenses when you make a purchase through an affiliate link. Thank you for your support!
This week along with my Sunday Supper friends we are bringing you Hot Lunch Ideas for Back to School! I don’t know about your kids, but my son really does not care for your typical PB & J or Ham Sandwich every day in his lunch box! So, these great recipes come at the perfect time to help to ward off the complaining! Can you hear it “not this chicken sandwich again”?
Don’t have kids at home, then pack this lunch for yourself. These are a fun way to change things up a bit for you too! Shoot they are great to eat at home as well!
Does your family love Tacos as much as mine does? We do these Walking Tacos every few weeks! So why not make them for school lunch! They are also perfect for parties and feeding a crowd. Helps with cleanup! NO PLATES REQUIRED – Yay!
What you need for these Walking Tacos
- favorite taco toppings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- individual bags of Doritos or Fritos
- a little garlic salt
- taco seasoning
How it’s Made
In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook one pound of lean ground beef, sprinkle on a little garlic salt (In case you are new here, I use garlic salt on everything) or salt to taste. If necessary, drain the fat off meat. Then add the taco seasoning packet and 2/3 cups of water. Let simmer until thickened.
Now for your favorite toppings. Which ones do you love? At my house, for these (nonauthentic tacos) we usually have cheddar or Mexican cheese blend, lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream, and taco sauce.
Next, you need an individual size bag of Doritos or Frito’s. We usually go with Doritos, use what you love! Grab a container or two for your toppings and a thermos to keep the meat warm. Pack it all in a lunch box and you will have a very happy kiddo!
Did I mention Drew is a senior in high school this year and he is my baby! Let me cry a minute and then I will be back! Okay, pity party over! In all seriousness, this is going to be a fantastically fun year making lots of memories!
So maybe I will spoil him a little with wonderfully delicious lunches! It’s my last year packing lunch! I am crying again!
Other Recipes you may Love
Lunch Box Walking Tacos
- 1 lb ground beef, lean
- 1 pkt taco seasoning
- ⅔ cup water
- cheddar or Mexican Blend Cheese
- lettuce, shredded
- tomatoes, diced
- sour cream
- taco sauce
- garlic salt or salt to taste
- individual bags of Doritos or Fritos
- In a skillet over medium high heat, cook one pound of lean ground beef, sprinkle on a little garlic salt (In case you are new here, I use garlic salt on everything) or salt to taste. If necessary drain fat off meat. Then add the taco seasoning packet and 2/3 cups of water. Let simmer until thickened.
- Pack Taco Meat into a thermos to keep warm. Pack desired toppings in plastic containers.
- Open Doritos or Frito bag. If desired crush chips a little. Layer in meat and toppings. Grab a fork and dig in. (Pictured bag is split open, so layers can be seen. Typically made opening bag from top, as normally opened, and putting in toppings is less messy to eat.)
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.