Let’s put a little spice in Back to School Lunches. These Lunch Box Walking Tacos are a fiesta waiting to happen at the lunch table. Are your kids (or maybe even you) crying NO to boring sandwiches? This is the perfect way to keep away the sandwich blues!
*Soulfully Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Please note: This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, to help with blog expenses when you make a purchase through an affiliate link. Thank you for your support!
This week along with my Sunday Supper friends we are bringing you Hot Lunch Ideas for Back to School! I don’t know about your kids, but my son really does not care for your typical PB & J or Ham Sandwich every day in his lunch box! So, these great recipes come at the perfect time help to ward off the complaining! Can you hear it “not this chicken sandwich again”?
Don’t have kids at home, then pack this lunch for yourself. These are a fun way to change things up a bit for you too! Shoot they are great to eat at home as well!
Does your family love Tacos as much as mine does? We do these Walking Tacos every few weeks! So why not make them for school lunch! They are also perfect for parties and feeding a crowd. Helps with cleanup! NO PLATES REQUIRED – Yay!
What you need for these Walking Tacos
- favorite taco toppings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- individual bags of Doritos or Fritos
- a little garlic salt
- taco seasoning
How it’s Made
In a skillet over medium high heat, cook one pound of lean ground beef, sprinkle on a little garlic salt (In case you are new here, I use garlic salt on everything) or salt to taste. If necessary, drain fat off meat. Then add the taco seasoning packet and 2/3 cups of water. Let simmer until thickened.
Now for your favorite toppings. Which ones do you love? At my house for these (non authentic tacos) we usually have cheddar or Mexican cheese blend, lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream and taco sauce.
Next you need a individual size bag of Doritos or Frito’s. We usually go with Doritos , use what ya’ll love! Grab a container or two for your toppings and a thermos to keep the meat warm. Pack it all in a lunch box and you will have a very happy kiddo!
Did I mention Drew is a senior in high school this year and he is my baby! Let me cry a minute and then I will be back! Okay pity party over! In all seriousness, this is going to be a fantastically fun year making lots of memories!
So maybe I will spoil him a little with wonderfully delicious lunches! It’s my last year packing lunch! I am crying again!
I am so glad you are here! Let’s be social – come on over and join in all the fun!
Get Free Recipes from Soulfully Made delivered right to your inbox Click Here to Subscribe.
Other Recipes you may Love
Lunch Box Walking TacosPrint Pin Rate
- 1 lb ground beef, lean
- 1 pkt taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup water
- cheddar or Mexican Blend Cheese
- lettuce, shredded
- tomatoes, diced
- sour cream
- taco sauce
- garlic salt or salt to taste
- individual bags of Doritos or Fritos
- In a skillet over medium high heat, cook one pound of lean ground beef, sprinkle on a little garlic salt (In case you are new here, I use garlic salt on everything) or salt to taste. If necessary drain fat off meat. Then add the taco seasoning packet and 2/3 cups of water. Let simmer until thickened.
- Pack Taco Meat into a thermos to keep warm. Pack desired toppings in plastic containers.
- Open Doritos or Frito bag. If desired crush chips a little. Layer in meat and toppings. Grab a fork and dig in. (Pictured bag is split open, so layers can be seen. Typically made opening bag from top, as normally opened, and putting in toppings is less messy to eat.)
Sunday Supper Hot Lunch Ideas
Hearty Hot Lunches
- Beef Stroganoff by The Crumby Kitchen
- Cheesy Chicken Mac by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lasagna Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Lunch Box Walking Tacos by Soulfully Made
- Potato Spinach Gnocchi by Caroline’s Cooking
- Raisin Bread Chicken Grilled Cheese by Pies and Plots
Soups and Stews
- 5 Bean Chili by My Blissful Mess
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Kielbasa Rice Bowl by The Freshman Cook
- Make It and Take It Burrito Bowl by Our Good Life
- One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese by Sunday Supper Movement
- Paleo Mason Jar Ramen by Bites Of Wellness
- Turmeric Cauliflower Soup by Cricket’s Confections
- Vegetable Beef Soup with Roasted Garlic by That Skinny Chick Can Bake