An Authentic Cuban Sandwich is a gloriously grilled sandwich filled with ham, pork, (sometimes salami), Swiss cheese, pickles, and yellow mustard on Cuban bread!
The Cuban Sandwich is a Florida tradition. I live in the Tampa Bay Area and this tasty meat and cheese filled deliciousness can be found everywhere! And for good reason it is divine! In many area’s of Tampa you can smell that aroma of Cuban bread baking and what a treat. Just slather on a little butter while it’s hot and oh my goodness!!!
But when you take that bread and pile on the ingredients that build this sandwich and you really have yourself, in what many Floridians will say, is the best sandwich in America!
Cuban Sandwich Pilings
- Cuban Bread
- Yellow Mustard (Don’t try to get fancy)
- Swiss Cheese
- Cuban or Mojo Roasted Pork
- Genoa Salami (NOW this one is controversial) – optional (I do not use)
The sandwich is believed to have made it’s debut in Florida in the late 1800’s. Cuban immigrants began traveling and moving into the area. It is said that this was a common lunch item enjoyed in workers cafes. Some say the salami addition became popular in the Tampa area because of the Italian influence also present. I say I have tried it both ways and like it either way – I know gasp of the die hards! When making the sandwich, if you want to leave off the salami, increase the ham portion to substitute for it.
WHAT is your vote Salami – NO or YES??
Let me know in the comments or head over & vote on Facebook!
Now the last and final part to making this sandwich GREAT is the Butter & Pressing it! So the real deal is NO grill marks. My press has them so to keep it real, I use a cast iron skillet and put something heavy on top like a foil wrapped brick or in my case other cast irons skillets. Flip and do the other side!
After it’s pressed you are ready take a big bite out of this masterpiece! I would love to hear if you make this one at home! They are so delicious and easy to make! A little taste of Florida culture in every bite!
I am so glad you are here! Come join in on more fun and let’s be social!
Get Free Recipes from Soulfully Made delivered right to your inbox Click Here to Subscribe.
Don’t forget to scroll all the way down and see all the Simple Sandwich Recipes brought to you by my taste making friends from Sunday Supper! They are too good to pass up ya’ll!
Authentic Cuban Sandwich
- 10 inch Cuban Bread
- 2 tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 3 ounces Swiss Cheese, sliced
- 4 ounces Ham, sliced
- 3 ounces Roasted Pork (I can find this in my deli)
- 2 ounces genoa salami (optional) Use 2 more ounces of Ham if not using - I do not use
- 3 ounces Pickles, slices thin
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat a panini press or a large cast iron skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Lay bread, open side up, on a work surface and spread the bottom and top halves with mustard. Layer top half with Swiss cheese and pickles. On bottom half, layer ham, Spanish pork, and salami (if using). Close sandwiches, pressing gently.
- Butter top and bottom of sandwich, place on panini press and apply moderate pressure until crisp on both sides, about 8 minutes. If using a cast iron skillet or griddle, melt some butter and add sandwich. Use a second pan to press on them as the first side crisps. When crisp, flip sandwich and continue cooking while pressing until crisp on both sides, about 10 minutes total. Slice sandwiches in half diagonally and serve immediately.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY LOVE