Slow Cooker Cuban Mojo Pork marinates in the fantastic flavors of citrus, garlic, oregano, and cumin all while cooking to a delicious tenderness. This an easy and flavorful meal that is perfect for any day of the week!
Many of you already know I am a Native Floridian and one of things I love about this state is that it is rich in Cuban and Latin culture. Especially in the Tampa area, specifically Ybor City, which is bursting with delicious Latin food. Spanish, Cuban, and Sicilian immigrants came to the area in large part to work in Cigar factories.
Along with them they brought rich and flavorful food traditions to the community! This deliciousness still thrives in the area. If you ever get a chance you have to visit the Tampa Bay area! From the nearby beaches, to the theme parks, culture and why yes the FOOD! So much to enjoy! Especially the FOOD – Y’ALL!! Did I already mention that?
When you think of Cuban food it’s natural for Mojo to come to mind right away. Mojo is a marinade typically made with sour oranges and lots of garlic. It really is a delicious marinade, sauce, and can be used as a dip. And don’t worry if you can’t find Sour Oranges – I’ll give you an easy solution in the recipe.
I feel very lucky that I don’t have to travel too far to enjoy all this greatness, my hometown is just minutes away from Tampa. But, there are also times we just want to make it at home! And I’m going to share how I make mine with ya!
Tips for making perfect Slow Cooker Cuban Mojo Pork at Home
- Use orange juice and limes or lemons and limes in substitution for sour oranges. The combo recreates the same flavor.
- Sear all sides of the pork first. This locks in the flavor and gives you a perfect crust on the roast.
- You cannot go wrong, making a roast in the crock pot is foolproof! It will be delicious every time.
- Just put it in and forget it. It’s important not to open the lid during the process. This causes moisture and heat loss.
- Slow Cooking takes care of all the marinating and cooking with little effort and lots of AMAZING TASTE!
- If you want to create a thicker sauce, add cornstarch after cooking to thicken.
- Gather your ingredients together so that you are not having to run back and forth to the fridge or spice cabinet.
Simple Steps to Making this Cuban Pork Roast
- Salt and pepper all sides of the pork.
- Sear it on all sides in a skillet (I love to use cast iron) or in a multi cooker on saute if you have this feature.
- If searing in the multi cooker, either remove to mix ingredients in the slow cooker or mix in a bowl and then pour over the meat.
- Make sure to really coat all of the meat in the marinade.
- Cover and let it do all the work! 8 hours on low or 6 hours on high.
- Remove roast and put on platter to serve. (I love to serve over white rice)
- Thicken sauce, if desired, by removing some of the cooking liquids and adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and mixing well with a fork or whisk. Pour back into slow cooker, stir and let thicken for a few minutes.
- Pour sauce over roast or serve on side.
Helpful Hint: It’s important that your roast isn’t too small for your slow cooker. You want the juices to encompass the roast while cooking.
You will see when I started mine I seared it in the multi cooker. The roast I happened to buy was taller, not as flat as some are cut. So I decided to move it to a smaller slow cooker so that it would be in all that wonderful juice.
Items you may need
*Soulfully Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Please note: This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, to help with blog expenses when you make a purchase through an affiliate link. Thank you for your support!
Slow Cooker Cuban Mojo Pork Roast Recipe
When you need a little Cuban Spice in your life this is the perfect dish! It’s always moist, tender, with hints of citrus and garlic that is sure to wake up your taste buds! It may even having you dancing the SALSA it’s so good y’all!
If you like this recipe please let me know in the comments and give it a 5 star rating!
Pin and Save it for next time
OTHER SLOW COOKER RECIPES YOU ARE SURE TO ENJOY
Slow Cooker Cuban Mojo Pork
- 4 lb boston butt or pork shoulder
- 2 tbls vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 to 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 to 2 tbsp cornstarch to thicken sauce after cooking, if desired
- In a large skillet or in slow cooker if it has the saute feature, add the oil over medium high heat.
- Salt and pepper all sides of the pork and sear on all sides.
- In the slow coooker add orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes and bay leaves and mix.
- Add the pork to the slow cooker and spoon marinade over all the sides of the pork roast.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or 6 hours on high.
- For a thicker sauce remove some of the drippings and add in cornstarch and mix well with a fork or whisk.