Instant Pot Creamy Macaroni and Cheese - This easy homemade mac and cheese is the creamiest cheesiest made all in the one pot and on the table in minutes. This go to family favorite comfort meal will find its way on your table over and over again.
*Soulfully Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Please note: This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, to help with blog expenses when you make a purchase through an affiliate link. Thank you for your support!
This Instant Pot Creamy Macaroni and Cheese is pasta noodle greatness all nestled in velvety (not to be confused with Velveeta) cheese to create comfort food at its finest.
Now don't get me wrong I love a good baked mac n cheese. In fact, that is probably my family's favorite at the holidays. But this creamy version is now a go to for just about any meal, made simply and quick in the Instant Pot (pressure cooker). It takes no time to put together. I am saying this one takes 10 minutes, because it take just a few minutes for the IP to come to high pressure. It's really a tad faster than that!
Ready to make this marvelous and so easy cheesy masterpiece?
What you need to Make Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- Large Elbow Macaroni
- Kosher Salt
- Black pepper
- Heavy Cream
- Sharp Cheddar
- Mexican Blend or Colby Blend Cheese
How to make CreamY Macaroni in Cheese in a Pressure Cooker
STEP ONE: Into the Instant Pot or pressure cooker goes the pasta, water, butter, salt & pepper.
STEP TWO: On goes the lid, turn to lock, and set the IP to Manual, High Pressure for 4 minutes.
STEP THREE: Once cooking time is done, manually release pressure (this means open the release valve).
Tip: Foam from the starchy pasta will want to spew out so place a cloth loosely over the valve and you will have much less of a mess. Yes I have learned the hard way y'all!
STEP FOUR: Open the lid and pour in cheeses and cream. Stir them up! (There will be water in the pot, do not worry about it. It will all mix together and be delicious - I promise.) No flour is necessary in this macaroni and cheese recipe. It will thicken with the starchy water, cheese and cream or milk.
Tips for making delicious homemade macaroni and cheese in the instant pot
- Use seasoning! I add salt, pepper and butter, to this before cooking. It makes such a difference.
- Use a combination of cheeses for the best taste. I use a mixture of sharp cheddar, and either colby or a mexican blend cheese. When you add the cheese, make sure to stir continuously so that it all melts in really well and you aren’t left with clumps.
- For this to be extra creamy use heavy cream, but you can also use whole milk. Many of the recipes I saw for Instant Pot Mac and Cheese use evaporated milk which I think changes the flavor. Stick to the good stuff! This is an indulgent comfort food, so go ahead and use the cream 🙂
Items you may will love to use with your Instant Pot
5 Delicious Instant Pot Recipes you will Enjoy
- No Bean Instant Pot Chili - Low Carb & Keto Friendly
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Instant Pot Southern Style Green Beans and Bacon
- Instant Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Instant Pot Beef Tips (Pressure Cooker Beef Tips)
Other Recipes you May Enjoy!
Instant Pot Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb Pasta - I use large elbow macaroni noodles
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz Mexican or Colby Jack Blend Cheese, shredded
- Pour pasta, water, salt, pepper and butter into 6 qt Instant Pot and stir.
- Place lid on instant pot and turn to locked position. Make sure pressure valve is closed. Set to Manual Pressure Cook at high pressure for 4 minutes. When 4 minutes is up, open valve and release pressure immediately. *See Note
- Hit or leave the warm button on. Pour in both cheeses and cream and stir until well combined and cheeses are melted. Serve