This Halloween Chex Mix Recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and salty with all the crunch factor you crave in a snack. It's easy to whip together in minutes and into the oven it goes for toasty perfection. Top that off with chocolate and peanut butter candies for a dangerously delicious treat!
This Halloween mix is perfect for classroom treats, a gift for the neighbors, to pass out to trick-or-treaters, or to serve on your Halloween party table. This family favorite is sure to become a tradition you'll make again and again.
Why We Love This Recipe!
- QUICK AND EASY RECIPE: There’s really nothing complicated about this recipe. A few simple ingredients, a quick bake, and it’s ready to serve.
- MAKE AHEAD: Need something you can make a few days in advance and still be fresh? This is the perfect make-ahead treat!
- VERSATILE: Change up the mix-ins and you have something new each time you make this.
This stuff really should come with a warning label! Halloween Chex Mix = highly addictive!!! Because once you start it's hard to stop eating it!
That being said everyone loves it - making it a big hit for Halloween munching, the Fall, and really anytime for that matter!
Here's what you will need to whip up a quick batch!
Simple ingredients make up the base of the perfect sweet and salty Halloween party mix. See our Variations section for ideas of additions and substitutions for this recipe.
For the Sauce:
For the Chex Mix:
Variations and Substitutions
How To Make Halloween Chex Mix
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and full recipe instructions!
Step 1 | Preheat Oven and Prepare Sauce
Preheat your oven and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, heat butter until melted. Stir in brown sugar, until it begins to simmer. Remove and add vanilla extract.
Step 2 | Prepare Mix and Bake
To your baking sheet, add Chex, pretzels, and Bugles. Stir to combine and mix the ingredients.
Pour the butter mixture over the snack and cereal mixture, stir, and bake.
Step 3 | Cool and toss in Candy Mix-Ins
Allow the mixture to cool slightly, and add to a large mixing bowl.
Add the M&Ms and Reese’s pieces and toss them together.
All that is next is HAPPY SNACKING!
- Chex Party Mix can be made in so many ways for every occasion. Add your favorite mix-ins to create a unique Chex Mix Recipe with a new twist for your holiday fun.
- Use items you have on hand. You don't have to go out and buy twist pretzels if you have sticks. Likewise, if you have other candies that fit the look you want to achieve use those.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can. Many of the Chex cereals are gluten-free, as are many pretzels. Bugles are a corn chip but are not certified GF, so you can replace this in the mix with something else if desired. Most M&Ms and Reese's Pieces are listed as gluten-free, but just check the labels to be sure. You can always add any GF candies you love and enjoy.
How to Serve Halloween Chex Mix
Perfect for Entertaining: I love to have this on Halloween when family and friends come by for an easy quick grab snack. You can also place it in a cute little Halloween treat bag with a note.
Movie Night: A great way to serve this yummy mix at your next Halloween movie night. Enjoy along with popcorn or even add in popcorn. It's the perfect snack to nibble on while watching the movie.
Halloween Treats: We get tons of trick-or-treaters on Halloween (they come in from all over our town) and I like to have a little something extra for our neighborhood families. So I will wrap this up in individual servings and give them out. They love it!
How to Store
Storage: After the mix is completely cooled, place in an airtight container and store for up to at least 1 week.
More Halloween Recipes
Halloween Chex Mix Recipe
For the Sauce
- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups hard pretzels
- 2 cups Bugles snacks
- 1 cup M&Ms Ghoul Mix, (regular or peanut)
- ½ cup Reese's Pieces
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, heat butter over medium heat, until melted. Stir in brown sugar and cook over medium heat until it begins to simmer. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.
- To the lined baking sheet add rice Chex cereal, pretzels, and Bugles. Then stir to combine and spread out to an even layer.
- Pour the sauce over the mixture and stir to coat. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and allow the mixture to completely cool. Pour in a large bowl and mix in M&M's and Reese's Pieces and toss together.
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.