These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes are easy to prep, versatile, and packed full of flavor! With a crispy exterior and a tender bite on the inside, these air fryer potatoes give you the absolute best results!
From a sweet flavor cinnamon roasted taste to a savory spice-infused side dish favorite you can easily adapt this recipe and take the boring out of dinner time!
Why We Love This Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes Recipe!
- Easy to Prep: Just wash, cut, and toss!
- Quick Side Dish: Cooks in half the time of oven baked.
- Versatile: You can change this up so easily by changing up seasoning or drizzling your condiment over them. This is something the whole family will love.
Key Ingredient Notes
If you want a savory option see the recipe notes, the variation section, or use your favorite seasonings.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and instructions!
Step 1 | Prep, Cut, and Toss Sweet Potatoes
Wash sweet potatoes thoroughly and then place them on a cutting board and cut them into even-sized cubes. You can leave peels on or peel them whichever way you prefer them.
I like to give the sweet potato chunks another rinse and then pour them onto a paper towel and pat dry with paper towels. The drier they are the more of a crisp roast you will get.
Place in a large bowl and toss with olive oil then add remaining ingredients and toss to coat.
Step 2 | Preheat Air Fryer and Cook
Preheat the air fryer according to the make of your air fryer for about 5 minutes.
Place in the air fryer basket for about 15 to 20 minutes, tossing halfway through cook time. The thickness and size of the air fryer will determine cook time.
Test the largest potato with a fork to be sure it is tender.
Step 3 | Enjoy the Best Roast Sweet Potatoes Ever!
Dig on in! Any way you season these up you are really going to enjoy them. They really are a simple recipe and make a fantastic side dish!
- Remember each air fryer cooks differently. The thickness of the potato will also affect the cooking time. Usually, about 15 minutes will be sufficient, but up to 20 minutes can be needed to achieve the desired doneness.
- Cutting potatoes at the same thickness will ensure even cooking.
- Place potatoes in a single layer with some space in between to allow the hot air to circulate which will result in perfect crispy sweet potato cubes.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are many varieties of sweet potatoes and they do not all have the same texture and taste. I like using the orange-skinned sweet potatoes (like Garnet or Jewel) as they are most commonly found and have a really sweet creamy texture. You can also find purple, white, or Japanese sweet potatoes. The best way to know is to give them a try.
2 large or 3 medium whole sweet potatoes will make around a pound of sweet potatoes. This is about 3 ½ to 4 cups of cubes of potatoes. A kitchen scale is also useful when wanting to determine the exact weight.
Yes. You can use this method to cook frozen sweet potatoes in the air fryer. To do this you will use them straight out of the freezer (do not thaw them). These are often diced a little smaller so you will need about 2 to 3 cups of frozen sweet potatoes and the cooking time and instructions will be about the same (15 minutes) since they are frozen. You may find you need to add a touch more oil to aid in crisping.
Yes. It is safe to eat a cooked or raw sweet potato. Since they are grown in the ground you will want to wash them well. I like to scrub them lightly with a brush and pull off any roots if attached. An extra benefit is they are packed with antioxidants so leaving them on is a plus. It usually comes down to a preference of texture, so eat them the way you like them - skin on or off.
Variations and Substitutions:
Storage, Make Ahead and Reheating Instructions
Make Ahead: Prep the night before, cover, and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Store leftovers: You can store air-fried sweet potatoes in an airtight container or zip bag and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Reheat: Reheat them in the air fryer at 375°F for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
To reheat individual servings in the microwave, place desired amount on a microwave-safe dish and reheat. Add 30-second intervals until heated to your liking. The microwave will produce a softer potato.
What do you serve with them?
This sweet potato side dish is perfect to serve as part of any holiday menu, serve them up with your other favorite sides along with pork, chicken, turkey, or beef. Try them with:
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 1 to 2 tablespoon olive oil, (if you like a softer roast add up to 3 tablespoons)
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional (or to taste)
Sweet Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- 2 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar, packed - to taste (you can also use honey or use equal parts of each for an even sweeter roasted potato)
- Rinse and cut into ¾-inch cubes (you can peel or leave skins on for this recipe), being sure they are all about the same size so they cook evenly. Dry on paper towels and gently roll them around or pat dry to remove water.
- In a large mixingbowl toss with olive oil so they are fully coated. Then add brown sugar and toss with cinnamon & nutmeg. *see notes for a savory option
- Place the sweet potatoes into the air fryer basket in a single layer (work in batches if needed) and air fry at 400ºF for 8 to 10 minutes then shake the basket and air fry for at least another 5 to 10 minutes or until the desired color/doneness is achieved.
- Serve with fresh herbs and your favorite sauce. Enjoy!
✱ Nikki's Tips
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.