Yellow Squash simply pan fried in butter, mixed with creamy sour cream, cheese, and topped with crunchy crackers and more cheese! This truly Southern Cheesy Yellow Squash Casserole highlights the summer squash crop in the most delicious way!
There is something quite Southern about yellow squash. It is being grown in abundance on local farms. The beautiful yellow blooms are pretty enough to make a bouquet, but those beauties are needed to pollinate the squash and make it grow into this deliciousness.
During this time, I find many ways to get this veggie on my menu! I will be sharing some of those dishes with you soon.
But this classic is a southern staple it seems. I don’t know many of my southern foodie friends that haven’t made this delightful dish! After all, it is smothered in butter, cheese, and Ritz crackers! I mean can it get much better than this?
What you need to make a Southern Squash Casserole
- Yellow Squash
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Ritz Crackers
EASY CHEESY YELLOW SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
Now turn on the ole faithful oven and get it heating up to 350 degrees. And BUTTA up that dish!
On the stove top heat a skillet (my preference is a cast iron skillet) over medium high heat. Melt that glorious BUTTA!! Add in the sliced squash and salt and pepper it to taste! Then saute and stir it lots for about 10 minutes or until it’s nice and soft. Drain it in a colander. Let it sit a few minutes to get that water off!
In a good sized, bowl mix together 1 cup of cheese, sour cream, and egg. Then fold in the cooked yellow squash!
Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and cook uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, until nice and golden brown and oh so bubbly!
Remove from oven and serve while warm and delicious!
Helpful Items used to make Southern Squash Casserole and in your Everyday Kitchen
*Soulfully Made is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Please note: This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, to help with blog expenses when you make a purchase through an affiliate link. Thank you for your support!
- Good Knives are a must in the kitchen for any home cook. I have fallen in love with Kyocera ceramic knives. I have the 5 inch, 7 inch , and a pairing knife!
- A Cutting Board is also essential! I use a nice large wood board almost every day and also keep a utility board on hand too! As long as they are nice and sturdy they will make cutting an easy task in the kitchen.
- A Large Skillet is my go to tool for my kitchen. My favorite is cast iron, but I always have a nonstick skillet too. I like something with a heavy bottom and high sides.
- A classic Baking Dish is a must have. They don’t have to be fancy. I find I use my standard glass pyrex a lot. They often have lids and are easy to store leftovers or take to a potluck. I also like stoneware baking dishes. They cook wonderfully and keep your food warmer for a longer period of time.
If you like this Squash Casserole Recipe please pin, share and follow us!
Get Free Recipes from Soulfully Made delivered right to your inbox!
Click Here to Subscribe
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY!
Cheesy Yellow Squash Casserole
Cheesy Yellow Squash Casserole
- 5 to 6 medium squash, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 3 quart or 9 X 13 dish.
- Over medium high heat, melt butter in a skillet. Add sliced squash, salt and pepper and saute, stirring often until tender (about 10 minutes). Drain.
- In a bowl, mix egg, sour cream and 1 cup cheese. Fold in cooked squash.
- Pour into baking dish. Top with crushed crackers and remaining 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.