This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sink your teeth into a light, refreshing cucumber sandwich made with fresh ingredients in about 10 minutes! The cream cheese with fresh herbs, mayonnaise, bright lemon juice, garlic powder, and fresh cucumber slices between two fluffy slices of bread is all that’s needed to make this cucumber sandwich recipe irresistible!
Why We Love This Recipe!
- 10-Minute Recipe: These deliciously fresh sandwiches only take about 10 minutes to make! I’ll warn you, though– They may disappear just as quickly!
- Perfect Appetizer: Cucumber sandwich recipes are perfect for a special occasion, like a baby shower, bridal shower, housewarming party, dinner with friends, Mother’s Day brunch, and more. They’re also excellent for picnics or an afternoon tea party!
- Fresh Flavor: No doubt, they’re better than any frozen appetizer you can find at the grocery store with delicate cucumber slices and aromatic herbs.
As much as we all love the typical saucy and cheesy appetizers at events, it’s also essential to have at least one lighter option. These cucumber tea sandwiches are cool and refreshing, a much-needed break from heavier finger food. Of course, it also leaves more room for the main meal!
Variations and Substitutions
How to Make Delicious Cucumber Sandwiches
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and full recipe instructions!
Step 1 | Mix cream cheese spread
Start by slicing the cucumber, chopping the herbs, and juicing the lemon. Be sure to strain any accidental seeds out.
Then begin making the cream cheese mixture by placing softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, chives, dill, fresh lemon juice, pepper, salt, and garlic powder in a medium bowl.
Mix all the ingredients until evenly distributed throughout.
Step 2 | Assemble sandwich
Next, spread the cheese mixture evenly onto each half of the slices making sure you spread from edge to edge.
Now, place the English cucumbers onto a slice of bread, layering as you go. Then, top the sandwich with the other slice of bread.
Step 3 | Slice, garnish, and serve
Finally, use a sharp knife to cut the sandwich in half or into triangles or squares, garnish with a sprinkle of dill, and serve! Yum!
- Crustless Bread– If preferred, remove the sandwich crust before starting the recipe. This makes them perfect for that southern afternoon tea party.
- Chill– You can serve the dish right away or chill it in the fridge for up to 24 hours before serving.
- Avoid Excess Water– If necessary, use paper towels to pat the cucumber slices dry.
- Making the Cheese Mixture– It may help to use a hand mixer when combining the spread ingredients. However, it’s not necessary.
While they are best served fresh or chilled for just a couple of hours, you can make cucumber sandwiches the night before in preparation for a party or event the following day. They can be kept in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Store the sandwiches wrapped in parchment paper to absorb the excess moisture.
Cucumbers are super hydrating and have antioxidants that are key for collagen synthesis and promoting healthier skin.
Refrigerate: If you have leftover cucumber finger sandwiches or want to make them in advance, store them in an airtight container or wrap them tightly with plastic wrap.
Prep Ahead: You can also meal prep or party prep by making the spread and keeping it in the fridge for up to three days, separate from the bread. Then, let it soften at room temperature for a few minutes before spreading it and adding the sliced cucumbers.
What to Serve with the Best Cucumber Sandwich Recipe
Keep the starters light by serving these easy cucumber sandwiches with this sweet Berry Fruit Salad Recipe, a refreshing Strawberry Spinach Salad With Lemon Vinaigrette, or this Burrata Caprese Salad Recipe with classic Italian flavors and a fun, colorful presentation. These are also all delicious for tea time!
More Light and Delicious Cucumber Recipes
Cucumber Sandwiches Recipe
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (8 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh or dried chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- 1 cup English cucmber, thinly sliced (peeled if desired)
- In a bowl add the cream cheese, mayonnaise, chives, dill, lemon juice, pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Mix until combined.
- Spread the cheese mixture onto each half of the slices.
- Place the cucumbers onto one slice of the bread. (You can remove crust on bread if desired)
- Then place the other slice of bread on top of the cucumbers.
- Cut into triangles or squares.
- Serve immediately or place in the fridge for up to 24 hours before serving.
- Garnish the sandwiches by sprinkling with dill before serving.
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.