This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette is a perfect light and refreshing meal for spring and summer. The salad combines the sweetness of fresh strawberries with the earthiness of spinach, the crunchiness of walnuts and cucumber, and the tanginess of red onions.
The refreshing and zesty lemon vinaigrette perfectly complements the salad’s natural sweetness, making it a delicious and well-balanced meal.
Why We Love This Recipe!
- Easy to make: The salad comes together quickly and easily, making it a great quick and healthy meal option.
- Fresh and flavorful: This salad bursts with fresh and vibrant flavors from sweet strawberries, crisp cucumbers, tangy red onions, and fragrant herbs.
- Healthy and nutritious: The salad is packed with nutrient-dense ingredients such as spinach, which is high in fiber and iron, and walnuts are a good source of protein and healthy fats.
What’s great about this salad is that it’s delicious and packed with nutrient-dense ingredients. Spinach is rich in vitamins and minerals, including iron and calcium. At the same time, strawberries are a good source of vitamin C and antioxidants.
The addition of walnuts and goat cheese provides healthy fats and protein, making this salad a well-balanced meal that will leave you feeling satisfied and energized.
Whether you’re looking for a healthy lunch, a lighter dinner, or a refreshing side dish, this Strawberry Spinach Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette will surely impress.
Lemon Vinaigrette Ingredients
Variations and Substitutions
Here are some variations and substitutions you can make to the Strawberry Salad with Goat Cheese:
Remember, feel free to get creative with your substitutions and make the salad your own!
How To Make Strawberry Spinach Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and full recipe instructions!
Step 1 | Prepare the Strawberry Spinach Salad
First, let’s prepare our salad. Grab a large serving bowl and add in the fresh spinach leaves. Then, top the spinach with some juicy sliced strawberries, refreshing cucumbers, crunchy walnuts, tangy red onion, fragrant basil leaves, mint leaves, and crumbled goat cheese.
Step 2 | Mix the Lemon Vinaigrette
Next, let’s make the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, whisk together some extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, honey, lemon zest, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Dijon mustard until everything is thoroughly combined. Give it a taste, and feel free to adjust the sweetness or saltiness to your liking.
Step 3 | Dress the Salad and Serve
Lastly, it’s time to add the finishing touch! Drizzle the delicious vinaigrette over your salad right before serving. Mix everything together, and enjoy your scrumptious and healthy salad!
- Use fresh ingredients: Use fresh and ripe strawberries, herbs, and vegetables to give your salad the best flavors and textures.
- Toast the nuts: Toasting the walnuts in a dry skillet for a few minutes enhances their flavor and crunchiness.
- Don’t overdress the salad: Start by adding a small amount of lemon vinaigrette to the salad and toss it well. Add more vinaigrette as needed, but be careful not to overdress the salad, as it can make it soggy.
- Serve chilled: Chill the salad in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld together. If you are low on time, be sure your ingredients are chilled before prepping.
You can easily switch up the cheese in this salad to suit your taste preferences. Feta, freshly grated parmesan, blue cheese, or mozzarella cheese would be excellent substitutes for goat cheese. Additionally, if you prefer a vegan salad, you can simply omit the cheese altogether.
Absolutely! However, if you decide to keep the onion but want to reduce its sharp tanginess, a useful tip is to soak the sliced onion in water for 15-20 minutes. This simple step can help to mellow out the flavor of the onion, making it more mild and palatable.
Storage and Make Ahead Instructions
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette is best served fresh, but you can prepare some components in advance to save time. Here are some tips for storage and make-ahead:
- Make the vinaigrette ahead: You can prepare the lemon vinaigrette in advance and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Prepare the ingredients ahead: You can wash and dry the spinach and herbs, slice the strawberries and onions, and chop the walnuts ahead of time. Store each ingredient separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator to keep them fresh.
- Assemble the salad just before serving: Combine the ingredients and drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad just before serving. This will help to keep the salad fresh and prevent it from getting soggy.
Storage: If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one day. However, keep in mind that the salad may become soggy if it sits in the dressing for too long.
If you don’t plan to use all the salad, I recommend dressing each serving individually so that you can store the leftovers for 1 to 2 days in the refrigerator.
What to Serve with Strawberry Salad
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette is a versatile dish that can be served on its own or as a side dish alongside other dishes. Here are a few ideas for what to serve with the salad:
- Grilled chicken or shrimp: Adding grilled chicken or shrimp to the salad can make it a more substantial meal.
- Fresh bread: Serve the salad with a slice of fresh bread or a dinner roll for a more complete meal.
- Quiche, frittata, or breakfast casserole: Serve the salad as a side dish alongside a quiche or frittata for a delicious and balanced brunch or lunch.
- Soup: Serve the salad as a starter alongside a bowl of soup, such as tomato soup or gazpacho, for a light and refreshing meal.
- Grilled vegetables: Serve the salad alongside grilled vegetables, such as zucchini, asparagus, or bell peppers, for a delicious and healthy summer meal.
- Pasta Salad or other Green Salads: Salads are perfect for picnics, showers, Mother’s Day meals, or during the Holidays. Serve the salad alongside a spaghetti pasta salad, Chopped Greek Salad, Burrata Caprese Salad, or my Pasta Salad with Artichoke Hearts and Feta.
- Fresh Fruit: This also pairs well with fresh fruit or fruit salads.
Looking for More Strawberry Recipe Inspiration
- Mini Strawberry Tartlets
- Strawberry Yogurt Parfaits
- Strawberry Shrimp Ceviche
- Strawberry Dessert Pizza
- No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Parfait
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Strawberry Salad Ingredients
- 5 ounces baby spinach, (5 cups)
- 8 ounces sliced strawberries, (1 cup)
- 1 cup English cucumber, sliced
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Lemon Vinaigrette Ingredients
- ½ cup olive oil or avocado oil
- ½ cup lemon juice, (2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Prepare Strawberry Spinach Salad: Place the fresh spinach leaves in a large serving bowl. Top the spinach with sliced strawberries, sliced cucumbers, chopped walnuts, chopped red onion, fresh basil leaves, fresh mint leaves, and crumbled goat cheese.
- Top the spinach with sliced strawberries, sliced cucumbers, chopped walnuts, chopped red onion, fresh basil leaves, fresh mint leaves, and crumbled goat cheese.
- Lemon Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, honey, lemon zest, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Dijon mustard until fully combined. Taste the vinaigrette and adjust the sweetness or saltiness to your liking.
- Drizzle the Lemon Vinaigrette over the salad just before serving.
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.