Labor Day is right around the corner. This means summer is coming to an end and school has begun and so have our normal routines. Labor Day calls for one last hurrah and a reason to fire up the grill and gather the family around the pool. We often celebrate with extended family and that means everyone is expecting Shelly’s Pasta Salad.
Shelly’s Pasta Salad is a delicious & simple angel hair pasta with a light marinade (dressing) and bright fresh veggies.
First, I must tell you all who Shelly is. Shelly is my sister Lauren’s mother in law. So that makes her family. Us southerner’s kind of just do that, whether ya like it or not! I have to say I always felt I had the best in law’s in the entire world. But my sister got lucky too! Being blessed with family that loves us beyond measure is so wonderful.
Now we feel Shelly’s Pasta Salad is a one of her best qualities! Ha Ha – not really, she is the greatest and oh so sweet, but we really like it a lot (In my best Jim Carey accent). Everyone loves it and it is gobbled up! Even Drew (my son) eats this and he doesn’t like green peppers, olives, or onions. Yes, it is that good!! And when we gather, with the exception of Thanksgiving and Christmas, this dish seems to find its way on the table – always!
It really is easy to make, but oh so tasty. According to her strict instructions this is a 3-day process (That’s the secret). Since I was making this in “Blog time”, I cheated and made it all in one day. It turned out “almost” as good as Shelly’s, but the second day it tasted just like hers – shhhh don’t tell her I cheated – wink wink.
What’s in this ALWAYS requested Pasta Salad you ask?
- Angel Hair Pasta
- Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Red & Green Bell Pepper
- Red Onion
- Black Olives
What do you do on day 1
- Mix the Marinade (Dressing)
- Boil & Drain Water from the Pasta
- Put Pasta in large air tight container with lid. Pour on marinade and shake.
- Every once in a while, shake it again
What to do on Day 2
- Add all the veggies
- Then Shake every once in a while for good measure and taste
Shelly says don’t forget the shaking
Finally Day 3
- Eat it all up
This pasta is so versatile and is perfect with a variety of menus, GOTTA LOVE THAT. You may just find it debuting on many of your menus too!
Speaking of menus – To start off Labor Day we are adding a little Red, White & Blue to our table with an American Flag Dip. Also being served is Honey Chipotle BBQ Wings, a big Chopped Greek Salad with Greek Potato Salad and something amazing from my Sunday Supper friends! Make sure you scroll on down and find all the deliciousness!
I’d love to hear what you have planned for Labor Day. Stop by our Facebook Group or comment below and let us know what your plans are! Feel free to share recipes too!
I would really love for you to follow along on social media!
Get Free Recipes from Soulfully Made delivered right to your inbox!
Click Here to Subscribe.
Shelly's Pasta Salad
- 2 tbsp Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb angel hair pasta
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 6.5 ounce cans black olives, sliced (I used 1 & 1/2- 3.8 ounce & topped with remaining for garnish)
- 3/4 cups red onion, diced (I used 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup celery, diced
Marinate Pasta in Dressing - Shelly's Instructions make 2 Days before Serving
Mix up pasta marinade (dressing).
Cook Pasta according to package to al dente (do not add salt to water) and drain. Do NOT rinse. Pour immediately in an air tight bowl with lid. Pour on marinade (dressing), toss to mix up and coat pasta. Refrigerate over night. Every once in a while give the bowl a shake to coat pasta.
Pasta Salad - Shelly's Instructions make 1 Day before Serving
Add celery, onion, red & green bell peppers,& olives. Shake in bowl. Refrigerate Overnight. Every once in a while give the bowl a shake to coat pasta.
Toss before serving and garnish as desired.
I made the pasta marinade in the morning the day before serving. Refrigerated for 2 hours. Added veggies, shook it up. Back into refrigerator. Shaking periodically when I thought about it. Then tasted early that evening. It was wonderful. Even better the next day.
If you are crunched for time, it is still very good the day of. But this is a great make ahead pasta - Just like Shelly Makes it is the BEST! Super easy and light! Out family can't get enough of it!
You will also find it over at my favorite link ups Meal Plan Monday’s and Weekend Pot Luck along with other great recipes.
Other Recipes to Enjoy
Labor Day Menu Ideas
Scrumptious Labor Day Sides and Starters
- Foil Pack Grilled Potatoes by Hardly A Goddess
- Four Bean Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs by Sunday Supper Movement
- Pasta Salad with Baby Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Sausage and Peppers Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Shelly’s Pasta Salad by Soulfully Made
- Sour Cream and Onion Potatoes by Cricket’s Confections
- Thai Spiced Shrimp Cabbage Coleslaw by Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini Parmesan Foil Packets by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Delicious Labor Day Entrees
- Malaysian Chicken Satay by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Grilled Hasselback Fajita Chicken by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Maple Turkey Burger with Cheddar, Bacon and Apple by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pork Spiedini Hoagies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sous Vide Sirloin Steak with asparagus by Our Good Life
- Sriracha Deviled Crab Sandwich with Key Lime-Bacon Slaw by Gourmet Everyday
- Tom’s BBQ Spare Ribs with North Carolina BBQ Sauce by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Vietnamese Grilled Steak Salad by Palatable Pastime
Luscious Labor Day Desserts
- Blueberry Crisp Bars by Pies and Plots
- Fudgy Brownie Trifle with Chocolate Mousse by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Watermelon Treats by The Freshman Cook
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.