This simple recipe is a creamy, smooth, chocolatey Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix perfect for gifting to loved ones! The crushed peppermint candies dissolve, combining the sweet and minty flavors of the mix—SO delicious!
Layers of tasty ingredients to make peppermint hot chocolate mix encased in an adorable mason jar with an instruction tag and all—this recipe SCREAMS Christmas! But, with a few simple changes, you can make it to fit any occasion, including Valentine's Day right around the corner!
It's the perfect gift made with love for teachers, postal workers, neighbors, and anyone else you'd like to share your appreciation with. Don't forget your own cravings, though! You can make several of these jars to stock away for when you need a chocolate pick-me-up on a gloomy day. This homemade hot chocolate mix is not only for the holiday season, it's good all winter long!
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe!
- Easy to Make: The only "work" you need to do for this simple and sweet gift is to crush the peppermint candies (You can even buy them already crushed). Otherwise, it is just about the most effortless mix to throw together!
- Adorable Presentation: The layers of ingredients in the jar already have a pretty appearance. Then, tie it up with twine and attach the candy cane and cute gift tag, and it comes to life!
- Everyone Loves Hot Cocoa!: Okay, If you DON'T love creamy and rich hot chocolate, I don't know if we can be friends. Who doesn't enjoy a warm cup of peppermint hot cocoa on cold winter days?
Variations and Substitutions
I love the idea of making this homemade peppermint hot cocoa recipe ahead of time for a kid's slumber party or birthday party favors-- each jar makes 3 mugs of hot chocolate. Honestly, I could go on forever listing how perfect this sweet gift is for just about anything—Galentine's dinner, family gathering surprise, vacation house pantry staple... and on and on.
Oh, and speaking of-- so many kids these days cannot have whole milk. So, making these gifts in individual jars is a perfect idea! Then, the recipient can add anything from heavy cream to one of the nut milks, or coconut milk.
But let's get into how to make this hot cocoa mix recipe! Before you move on, check out more of my seasonal drinks to warm your soul this chilly winter, like my Homemade Eggnog Recipe or this Biscoff Cookie Butter Latte.
- Mason Jar (You can use any 16-ounce jar you like)
- Peppermint Gift Tag Printable with Candy Cane on it
- Heart Shaped Peppermint Gift Tag Printable
- Twine, Ribbon, or Valentine's Day Themed Ribbon
How To Make Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix in a Jar
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and instructions!
Step 1 | Make the Gift Tags
Start putting together this sweet little gift by downloading the peppermint hot cocoa tag. Next, load your printer with thick white cardstock and print the label. Then, carefully cut around the edges and use a hole punch to cut out a hole at the top center of the tag.
Step 2 | Layer the Ingredients
Now, grab one standard-sized mason jar and begin layering the ingredients one by one. First, pour the hot chocolate packet in, followed by the mini chocolate chips.
If you still need to crush the peppermint candies, now is the time! Dump them into a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to smash them into tiny pieces. Then, add them to the mason jar above the chocolate chips.
Finally, top it off with mini marshmallows.
Step 3| Finish Assembling the Gift
Complete this lovely homemade gift by closing the lid to the mason jar and tying a bow around the top with twine. Add the gift tag and peppermint stick to the bow, and you're all set! Now, step back and admire how adorable your little jar of hot cocoa mix is!
- Buy in Bulk – If you want to make many mason jar hot cocoa mixes, buy the ingredients in bulk from the grocery store.
- Finely Crushed Peppermints – The finer you crush the peppermint candies, the quicker they will melt when you add hot water or milk to the mix. Use a food processor to make the candies into light, fluffy powder, if desired.
Sure, you can! And it may be easier than you think—All you need is unsweetened cocoa powder and granulated sugar. Add hot milk, and you'll have yourself a cup of hot cocoa! If you want to be able to add water to the mix and still have creamy hot cocoa, include powdered milk or powdered coffee creamer in the dry mixture, then add hot water.
Believe it or not, the answer is YES. However, some brands will label their product as caffeine-free. In that case, the caffeine has been removed.
Cocoa powder naturally contains caffeine. So, most quality mixes will be subtly caffeinated.
Of course, there is no definite answer to this question. But some brands outshine others, like the Williams Sonoma Classic Hot Chocolate or Ghirardelli Cocoa Beverage Mix.
Most people use Swiss Miss, which is still very yummy!
What to Serve with Your Peppermint Hot Cocoa
When I think of what goes with a steaming cup of hot peppermint cocoa, I think of cookies and brownies! Give your loved ones a little something extra by pairing this adorable jar of hot chocolate mix with a sweet homemade treat like my Peppermint Meltaway Cookies or these Peppermint Brownie Mix Cookies.
How Long is This Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix Good For?
The ingredients in this jar of yumminess will last just about as long as the expiration date on the chocolate chips. I think it's safe to say you can keep the mason jar in the pantry for at least a month, possibly longer. But who wants to do that? Most of your giftees will dive right in!
More Great Gift Ideas Made with Love
- Strawberry Sugar Scrub
- Best Banana Bread Recipe
- Crock Pot Chocolate Turtle Candy
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
Peppermint Hot Cocoa
- 1 16-ounce mason jar
- twine or ribbon
- ¾ cup hot chocolate mix
- 3 tablespoons crushed peppermints
- ¼ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips, (miniature work best and melt better)
- ½ cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 candy cane
- Print your peppermint hot chocolate gift tags onto thick cardstock, and cut out and hole punch.
- In your 16-ounce mason jar, layer hot chocolate mix first, followed by chocolate chips, crushed peppermint, and then marshmallows.
- Use a piece of twine to attach the gift tag and a candy cane.
Directions for making hot chocolate
- Combine mix with 3 cups hot milk, makes 3 servings.
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.