These light, fluffy, and moist brownies are so easy to make and are a chocolate lover's dream! A cross between brownies and chocolate cake, these Cake Brownies are made with a handful of pantry staple ingredients. With just 10 minutes of prep, this is the perfect quick and easy chocolatey treat everyone will love!
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Cakey Brownie Recipe!
- Simple Ingredients: You find you likely will have the ingredients on hand in your pantry. If not all the ingredients are easily found at your local grocery store.
- Easy Homemade Recipe: While a box brownie is good you can whip up these delicious homemade brownies in just minutes. They have such amazing flavor and texture even better than making them from the box.
- Chocolate Lovers Dream: These super chocolatey brownies will certainly satisfy that sweet tooth.
I'm guessing if you found your way here you are a fellow chocolate lover! You are in the right place! The light, fluffy, and moist texture of this cake-like brownie makes it an irresistible sweet treat.
We really love all things brownie around here! And I am betting you do too! From my Frosted Turtle Brownies, and Chocolate Brownie Cake, to Oreo Brownie Poke Cake or a Brownie Cookie, we have got you covered!
We even have Red Velvet Brownies and Red Velvet Brownie Cups you must try!
Whether you came craving a decadent dessert, needed a goodie for a dinner party, or some delight for game night, these cakey brownies are a crowd-pleaser that will satisfy everyone's sweet tooth.
I am sure it's going to become your favorite brownie recipe like it is mine!
Variations and Substitutions
How To Make Cake Brownies Step by Step
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and instructions!
Step 1 | Preheat Oven & Prep Pan
Preheat the oven to 350° and prepare the baking pan with cooking spray or grease the pan with butter.
Step 2 | Prepare Chocolate Mixture and Flour Mixture
In a saucepan over medium low heat melt butter with sugar and cocoa powder.
While the chocolate butter mixture is melting, in a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Pour the chocolate mixture into a large bowl. This will also allow the chocolate to cool slightly before adding the eggs.
Step 3 | Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients
Add the eggs and vanilla to the chocolate sugar mixture and stir together. Then add in a small amount of flour and stir to combine. Next, add in a small amount of milk and stir to combine. Repeat until all of the wet ingredients are combined into the chocolate mixture.
Step 4 | Fold in Chocolate Chips, Pour into Baking Dish, & Bake
Add in chocolate chips and fold into the brownie batter with a spoon or spatula.
Then pour the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish. You can smooth the top once it is the pan even with the spatula.
Place in the oven and bake until fluffy and the wooden pick or cake tester comes out mostly clean.
Let the brownies cool for about 20 minutes before cutting them. (If you can wait that long).
- Warming the butter, cocoa powder, and sugar together blooms the cocoa powder and is an important step in enhancing the cocoa powder taste. It also helps break down the sugar crystals resulting in a soft and moist brownie
- Transferring the butter mixture to a bowl cools the mixture down a bit before adding the eggs in so the eggs don’t cook in the batter.
- This recipe has been tested using margarine and salted butter. You’ll want to cut the salt in half if subbing for salted fat.
- If you would like to remove the brownies from the pan before cutting and serving, place parchment paper with enough to cover the pan bottom and come up the sides. Then you can easily pull the brownies out of the pan after they cool.
Cakey brownies use both baking powder and baking soda which will lift the brownies, giving them a fluffy and lighter texture vs the more dense and chewy texture of other brownies.
There are a few things you can do to make the best brownies.
First, you’ll want to bloom your cocoa powder by warming it with butter. This will enhance the cocoa flavor in the brownies.
The next thing you can do is to make sure that your eggs and sugar are well incorporated into the batter before baking. The more you incorporate those into your batter, the more air will develop in the batter resulting in a fluffy brownie.
Overbaking or underbaking your brownies is not a great thing to do. Overbaking will result in dry brownies and underbaking your brownies will result in soft brownies. These brownies come out perfectly in 35 minutes. Make sure to test your brownies for 30 minutes (because every oven is different) with a wooden pick. If it comes out clean it’s ready to cool.
Allowing your brownies to chill for at least 10 minutes also helps. Brownies can become very flaky if they’re cut too early. Allow your brownies to cool to give you the perfect brownies.
How to Store Brownies?
Storage: Store your brownies in an airtight container or cover them with plastic wrap or foil, at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can store them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freeze: You can also freeze them. Store them in a freezer-safe container or zip bag in the freezer (labeled) for up to 3 months. For best results, cut the brownies before freezing them. You can take one brownie out at a time.
To thaw, place on a plate on the counter at room temperature for between 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on the temperature of your home.
More Chocolate Recipes
Looking for more chocolate goodness to enjoy give these recipes a try!
- Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake
- Chocolate Cake with Whipped Oreo Icing
- Crock-Pot Chocolate Turtle Candy
- Yogurt Parfait Chocolate Chip Granola Cups from Julie at The Little Kitchen
- Cherry Chocolate Chip No-Churn Ice Cream from my friend at Norine's Nest
Hungry for more easy, home-cooked, delicious recipes?
Sign up for my free recipe club to get family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Cakey Brownies Recipe
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, (you can also use milk or dark chocolate)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease and line a 15x9 pan with spray oil and parchment paper and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the sugar, butter, and cocoa powder over medium heat. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir the mixture intermittently (you’ll heat the mixture until the butter melts). Remove from heat.
- While the butter mixture is melting, in a medium mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a whisk, stir to combine.
- Once the butter melts, transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add in the eggs and vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, spatula, or whisk, stir gently and incorporate the eggs until the eggs have combined with the butter/chocolate mixture.
- Add a small amount of the flour mixture to the butter/chocolate mixture, stir to combine using a whisk, wooden spoon, or spatula, then add a small amount of the milk. Stirring to combine the ingredients. Repeat this process until all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Then add the chocolate chips to the batter. Using a wooden spoon or a spatula, fold them in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake at 350° F for about 35 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean in the center.
- Once done, remove from the oven and cool for 20 minutes in the pan before cutting into the brownies.
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
These brownies reminded me of the ones my mother used to make. Our whole family just loved how moist these were! Thank you for such a delicious chocolate brownie!
Nikki Lee says
Thank you, Jules! I love when recipes remind us of wonderful memories!
Sometimes you just need a cakey brownie! These were so good! Thanks for the recipe, Nikki 🙂
Nikki Lee says
Right! I am right there with you! Thank you for making them Lynn!
Just made these brownies and I must say they are the BEST! Chocolately and moist, just perfect!
Nikki Lee says
Thank you so much, Sheila!
Such an amazing brownies recipe!! My whole family enjoyed it!
Nikki Lee says
Thank you so much, Toni! So good to hear when the whole family loves a recipe!
I love cake, and I love brownies. This is perfect! I mean, what could be better than two of the best desserts ever smashed together?
Nikki Lee says
We are fast friends then! I am such a brownie lover too- anything chocolate sign me up!
I am drooling! They look lush. Mmmmm!
Nikki Lee says
Thank you so much, Jacqueline! In my book brownies in general are drool-worthy!
TAYLER ROSS says
I made these brownies with the kids last night and they turned out perfectly! So delicious and easy to make!
Dana Sandonato says
Such a lovely mash up of desserts! This was a hit at a recent dinner party and several asked for the recipe.
Nikki Lee says
Thank you, Dana! So happy to hear they were a hit and that you shared the recipe!