This super moist triple chocolate mousse cake recipe combines unsweetened cocoa, dark cocoa, and semi sweet chocolate for a rich luscious flavor. Filled with fluffy chocolate mousse and covered with chocolate ganache this cake is a decadent trifecta in each bite.
There is something about chocolate that gets me so excited I can hardly contain myself. If I am going to choose something for dessert I tend to gravitate towards chocolate (how about you) or maybe a cheesecake?? Chocolate always takes top pick!
What can be more perfect than triple chocolate cake? Right! This cake is packed will all the right stuff. It's a moist cake that practically melts in your mouth. All light, fluffy and perfectly baked chocolate mousse cake. The two combined make magic like nothing else.
Add in the ganache and you just about think you have died and gone to heaven. Rich beautiful chocolate! Yes certain heaven will be filled with lots of chocolate. (Have I said chocolate enough?) Let's get to the recipe and tips for making something magical y'all!
3 parts to a triple chocolate mousse cake recipe
This insanely rich and decadent cake can be made in two ways, a simple sheet cake version or a beautifully decorated layer cake. Either way there are 3 components to the chocolate mousse cake.
- Chocolate Cake: A blend unsweetened cocoa powder and dark cocoa powder give this cake just the right amount of chocolatey deliciousness. Using a combination of buttermilk and sour cream make the cake ultra moist. And using hot coffee add a layer of flavor to put this cake over the top.
- Chocolate Mousse: The combination of a good quality semi sweet chocolate folded into a homemade whipped cream gives that fluffy and airy texture to the mousse that you want. This version doesn't require raw eggs and that eliminates that component to mousse that some people worry about.
- Chocolate Ganache: Another semi sweet chocolate element in this cake that gives decadence. Top of the layer cake version for wow factor or place in the middle of the sheet cake for a little surprise that will keep everyone requesting this cake again and again.
2 ways to make a baked chocolate mousse cake
This cake can be made into a simple yet beautifully decadent sheet cake or an elegant round layer cake. Both instructions and cook times are included in the recipe card below. Either cake will WOW your guest with the same chocolate flavor!
Easy Chocolate Mousse Ingredients (no egg required)
- Hot Water
- Cocoa Powder: natural unsweetened
- Melted Chocolate - 2 - 4 ounce premium quality semi sweet chocolate bars. The can be found in the baking aisle at your grocery store.
- Heavy Cream
- Powdered (or Confectioners) Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
TIP: Chocolate mousse needs to be well chilled. Make sure to allow time to put in the refrigerator before putting on the cake. You can make this up to 2 days ahead of time or make it while the cake is baking and cooling. Mousse tastes so much better cold. This cake will assemble and serve much easier when chilled.
Also if you prefer to use milk chocolate that is perfectly fine. Use the flavors you love. Just remember to get good quality chocolate.
Chocolate ganache is so simple to make. It is super decadent and delicious, but it is only as good as the chocolate you use. Make sure you are using premium quality baking bars. Also make sure to allow time for the ganache to cool for 20 minutes before pouring over the cake.
If making a sheet cake and you want the ganache in the center layer, pour over cooled cake and then refrigerate for an hour to set up. Then add the chocolate mousse for your top layer. Top with curled chocolate shavings for a stunning presentation.
Other Delicious Cake Recipes you will Love!
- Chocolate Cake with Whipped Oreo Icing
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Pound Cake
- Coconut Cream Poke Cake
- Lemon Pudding Poke Cake
- Snickers Poke Cake
Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cups sour cream, room temperature
- ½ cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup hot coffee or hot water
Chocolate Mousse Filling / Topping
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 ounces quality semi sweet chocolate bars, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar, confectioners sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces quality semi sweet chocolate bars, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Make the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray 9X 13 pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powders, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix the buttermilk, oil, sour cream, eggs and vanilla together until combined.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add in hot coffee or water and beat until the batter in combined.
- Pour into prepared 9 x 13 baking pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Keep an eye out as baking times vary. The cake will be done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (For a layered cake instructions see notes*)
- Remove cake from oven and let cool completely on wire racks.
Prepare chocolate mousse filling / topping
- As the cake cools, prepare the mouse so it can chill and be ready.
- Whisk hot water and cocoa powder together in a bowl.
- Place chopped chocolate bars in a double boiler to melt. You can also melt in the microwave by placing in a heat proof bowl and melting in 20 second increments. Stir after each increment until melted and smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate into hot cocoa water mixture and stir in with silicone spatula until combined and smooth in texture.
- In a stand mixer or with hand mixer. Beat heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla together on medium-high speed until medium peaks form. About 3 to 4 minutes.
- Using a silicone spatula, gently fold chocolate mixture into the whipped cream until combine. Do not over mix or mix too hard so that the mousse does not deflate. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours until chilled (you can make this ahead of time up).
- Prepare Chocolate Ganache
- Place chopped chocolate in a medium heat proof bowl.
- Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to simmer gently (do not bring to a rapid boil). Pour over the chocolate and let it stand for 2 to 3 minutes to soften the chocolate. With a spatula stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Let it cool at room temperature for 20 minutes. *If making layered cake and not 9 X 13 see notes for layered cake instructions.
- Once the mixture is cooled pour over 9 X 13 cake and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After refrigerating spread mousse over the ganache layer and serve or refrigerate until serving.
- Garnish with chocolate curls or sprinkles if desired.
- Cover leftover cake tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
✱ Nikki's Tips
*Chocolate Mousse Layer Cake InstructionsTo bake layer cake: Grease 2 to 4 - 8 or 9 inch round pans (depending on how many layers you want) lined with parchment. Then grease the parchment paper. Bake for 19 to 23 minutes for 4 cake layers and 23 to 26 minutes for 2 cake layers. Baking times vary with ovens so keep an eye on them. It is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire racks. To assemble layer cake: Level cakes if desired by slicing with serrated knife or cake leveler. Place 1 cake layer on a cake stand. Using a large icing spatula place ⅓ of the chocolate mousse about ⅕ cups evenly on top. Then repeat with second and third cake. Top with 4th cake layer. Spready any remaining mouse around the outside of the cake for a crumb coat. Refrigerate cake for 1 to 4 hours to chill. Prepare Chocolate Ganache to ice outside of cake, as you wait. Pour or spoon ganache over chilled cake and smooth with a icing spatula and smooth the sides with a bench scraper. Garnish with berries, chocolate curls and/or flowers as desired. Can be served at room temperature or chilled. To chill place in refrigerator uncovered for 4 hours until served. Store leftovers covered tightly in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
Hungry for more easy, home-cooked, delicious recipes?
Sign up for my free recipe club to get family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Leave a Reply