An easy and delicious creamy potato soup recipe all made in one pot on the stovetop. Loaded with bacon, creamy good potatoes, and topped with cheese to make the ultimate bowl of comfort food!
There really is nothing like a warm bowl of soup on a cool day to warm the belly and the soul. It's like a big hug, comfort food at its best.
Everytime I take a bite of potato soup it reminds me of my grandfather. He loved it. I often talk about all the memories food brings to mind. They are truly priceless. Almost like a hug from the past. (This soup is like a big hug too - pure comfort!)
I sure wish I could sit down with him for a meal again. I am so blessed to have all the ones I do, but it does make me mindful of the ones that are being created when I cook a meal for those I love.
Most recently, I made this when my daughter was home from college. My house was complete. We all played cards and relaxed. It was pure bliss to have the whole family together under one roof.
Now let's get to making this blissfully delicious soup and creating more memories with the ones we love!
Ingredients needed for Creamy Potato Soup
- yellow onion
- all purpose flour
- potatoes, I like gold or red potatoes work as well
- chicken stock or broth
- whole milk
- cream or heavy cream
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper, optional
- sour cream
TIPS FOR THE ULTIMATE CREAMY POTATO SOUP
- Cut your potatoes evenly. I try to keep them no larger than 1 inch in size, maybe a tad smaller. Bite size pieces so that they cook evenly and fairly quickly.
- Use an immersion blender to blend some of the potatoes until it's nice and creamy in texture. I like to blend about ⅓ of the soup. You can blend them all if you do not like chunks of potatoes, but I highly recommend to leave some in. So delish.
- If you don't have an immersion blender a regular blender works or a food processor can be used as well. Just carefully remove liquid in batches depending on the size of your blender. Then pour back into the soup.
- Stir in the sour cream and bacon pieces last. If you don't like bacon pieces in the soup you can omit. It still has the nice flavor. But I say the more bacon the better in life! ?
- Top with all for favorite baked potato toppings like sour cream, cheese, bacon, and chives. Enjoy!
More Delicious Soup Recipes to Enjoy
- Pasta Fagioli Soup
- Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Instant Pot Black Eyed Pea & Collard Green Soup
- White Chicken Chili
- Spanish Bean Soup
How to make the Best Creamy Potato soup
Creamy Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 strips bacon, cut into small pieces, reserve some for topping
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced to 1 inch size cubes
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 ½ cups of whole milk
- 1 ½ cups cream or heavy cream
- 1 to 1 ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- Add bacon to a large dutch oven or pot and cook over medium high heat until bacon is crispy. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Leave grease in pot.
- Next add butter and chopped onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds, while stirring.
- Stir in flour and stir with a whisk until a paste forms, allowing to cook for 2 minutes until flour cooks.
- Pour in chicken stock, milk, cream, potatoes, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper (optional). Stir well.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender.
- Reduce heat to low and use an immersion blender to blend some of the potatoes until desired creamy texture. If you do not have an immersion blender you can carefully remove about ⅓ of soup in portions to your blender or food processor and blend until smooth, then return to pot. Sir to combine
- Then stir in the the sour cream. Add in bacon pieces if desired, reserve some or all for topping.
- Top with addition sour cream, cheese, bacon, and chives. Enjoy!