This recipe for delicious Keto Pretzel Dogs or Gluten Free Bagel Dogs is an all-American classic with a healthier twist. They are baked golden brown and dusted with bagel seasoning for an easy dinner that everyone will devour!
Go ahead and skip the hotdogs buns-- you do not need them for these dough-wrapped keto bagel dogs. They are just as good as crescent dogs, but they are healthier and suited to keto or gluten-free diets.
I know sticking to a ketogenic diet or a gluten-free lifestyle is not easy. Even trying a low-carb diet gives me pause as a southern baker. That said, I have friends that have Celiac disease and deserve a version they can eat as well without always having to opt for a lettuce wrap.
That is one of the reasons I am choosing this recipe. But to tell you the truth, the cheesy crust on this homemade keto hot dogs recipe is really good!
Do healthier, and tasty good keto lunch recipes with your favorite type of hot dogs sound ideal to you? Good news; you are going to love these low carb bagel dogs. You might also enjoy my recipe for Keto Low Carb Beef Chili. And I have a fantastic recipe for Garlic Butter Shrimp Scampi or Slow Cooker Chicken Salsa for more easy-to-make keto recipe-friendly meals.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe!
- Healthier Crescent Dog- Stick to your Keto diet or gluten-free restrictions with this low-carb alternative that is sure to please.
- Easy Recipe- The recipe takes no time at all to prepare and get into the oven, and it is so easy!
- Crowd Pleaser- What’s more American than a hotdog, y’all? Almost everyone likes a good sausage dog wrapped in dough!
- Food Processor
- Pastry brush
Variations and Substitutions
How To Make Gluten-Free Bagel Dogs
Before you get started, preheat the oven and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Then take the hotdogs or sausages out of the packages and dry them well with paper towels so the dough will stick. Alrighty, now we are cooking.
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and instructions!
Step 1 | Prepare the Cheese Mixture
To make the cheesy mixture for the dough, put the mozzarella cheese and the cream cheese in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Set the microwave to 90 seconds, then carefully remove the bowl, and stir to completely melt all the cheeses. Add increments of 20 seconds if it is not yet all the way creamy melted.
Step 2 | Add in Doughy Ingredients
Using your food processor, pour the melty cheese mix into the bowl of the processor and add in one egg. Process those until smooth, then add in the dry ingredients-- almond flour and baking soda.
Process that mixture until it forms a very sticky dough-like ball.
Step 3 | Shape the Dough & Wrap
Next, line the countertop with a sheet of parchment paper and remove the food processor bowl. With a silicone spatula, scrape the contents of the bowl onto the lined countertop and form into a ball.
Divide dough into 8 even pieces. Then roll each piece into a ball and then into a long rope shape measuring about twelve inches in length.
Take one rope at a time, starting at on end of the hot dog, and wrap the dogs the entire length of the hot dog. Then place each on the prepared parchment-lined baking sheet. When all the dogs are wrapped, they are ready for the toppings!
Step 4 | Top the Dogs
Take out a clean small bowl and beat one egg with a small bowl whisk. Then dip a pastry brush in the egg wash and brush the top of each bagel dog.
Then you can add your sprinkled topping of everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, or poppy seeds. The choice is yours.
Finally, place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for the recommended time on the recipe card. Be sure to rotate the dogs every 3 to 4 minutes so they will get that pretzel golden brown coloring on all sides.
Serve them up with your favorite hotdog dips and sides, and enjoy!
- When cooking for dietary restrictions, be sure to read all labels. This is one of the easy recipes to make gluten-free and keto-friendly, though.
- Wet your hands when handling the sticky dough.
- Wrap the dogs gently without pulling and stretching the dough so the layers remain even.
- For a hint of cheddar cheese, grate some cheddar and add it to the top in the last 3 minutes of cooking. Or try parmesan cheese!
That is easy; in fact, there are many. McCormick has a gluten-free seasoning, and Trader Joe's has an Everything But the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend.
That is a great question! My mama always told me they were not good for you and full of junk. But if you get a quality all-meat brand or natural hot dogs, it is simply meat processed in a different way. Check your labels and buy right for a healthier way to enjoy hotdogs and sausages.
Of course, you can! Any type of sausage or hotdog will work well for this yummy dinner recipe. Chicken sausage would be great too!
What to Serve Keto Pretzel Dogs
There are so many great ideas for what you can serve with these stunning wrapped dogs. Dip your dogs into the usual suspects, like mustard, ketchup, or barbecue sauce. Then add some delicious side dishes like these:
Storage: Store leftover bagel dogs in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days in a zippered bag or an airtight container.
You can also freeze your bagel dogs. Just thaw and reheat them in the oven for around ten minutes at 350.
These Recipes are Popular Now
Keto Pretzel Dog or Bagel Dogs
- 8 Hot Dogs, (or Johnsonville Beddar Cheddar Sausages)
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- sesame seed/poppy seed blend
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Remove the hotdogs from their package and dry them with a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a medium microwaveable bowl, add the mozzarella cheese and the cream cheese. Microwave on high for 90 seconds and stir. The cheese should be completely melted, cook for an additional 20 seconds if needed.
- Add the melted cheese to a food processor with the egg and process until smooth. Add the almond flour and baking soda, and process it until you have a sticky dough (it will be very sticky).
- Scrape the dough onto a piece of parchment paper and divide it into 8 even pieces to be rolled into small balls. Using one ball at a time, roll the dough into a long rope, approximately 12”. Beginrounding the rope around the length of the sausage/hotdog, leaving about ½” of the hot dog visible on each end. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining hotdogs.
- In a small bowl, beat one egg. Dip a pastry brush into the eggwash and brush the surface of each bagel dog. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and poppy seeds if desired.
- Bake for 15 -20 minutes or until golden brown. Rotating each bagel dog every 3-4 minutes will result in a nice even brown color on all sides of the pretzel/bagel dog.
- Serve and enjoy!
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.