Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup Recipe is a favorite fall instant pot recipe-- after all, it is soup season, y'all! Instant Pot Soups are the perfect quick and easy comfort food for the cool months, and this creamy soup recipe is hearty, healthy, and delicious.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe!
- Easy & Fast: Pressure Cooker Butternut Squash Soup is easily cooked in the Instant Pot and is faster than simmering on the stove and constantly watching it.
- Comfort Food: Fall soups are the perfect comfort food on cool days, in my opinion.
- Sweet and Savory: Butternut squash and carrots add a touch of sweetness to this vegetable soup. Add a tablespoon of brown sugar or a splash of maple syrup if you like an even sweeter soup.
Easy Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup is a simple vegan recipe full of fresh veggies and savory fall flavors like ginger, sage and rosemary, and creamy coconut milk. Buttery croutons are the perfect addition to this beautifully deep orange soup recipe.
BONUS! Did you know that butternut squash is rich in healthy minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants? It is a low-calorie food that is chock full of fiber, too!
Key Ingredient Notes
Variations and Substitutions
Be sure to check out my suggestions for soup toppings after the instructions!
How To Make Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and instructions!
Step 1 | Sauté the Veggies
First, you will want to take out your Instant Pot and set it to the sauté setting. Then get all those veggies washed and chopped.
To the inner pot add olive oil, onion, garlic, and ginger to the pot.
Then measure all the spices and sprinkle them on top of the veggies.
Allow the ingredients to saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 2 | Add the Orange Veggies
You cannot beat the gorgeous color of carrot and butternut squash in a soup. Right? So go ahead and add in the carrots and butternut squash and stir it up for a minute or two.
Then add in the rest of the ingredients – all but the coconut milk. Then put the lid in the lock position and set the Instant Pot pressure on high. You will cook the veggie mixture for 20 minutes as all the flavors meld and the vegetables soften.
Step 3 | Cream the Butternut Squash Bisque
Once the pot has stopped cooking, you can use the quick-release method to relieve the high pressure on the Instant Pot and take out your immersion blender. Blend all the beautiful fall flavors until the soup is thick and has that creamy texture.
Lastly, add in the coconut milk or heavy cream, season with salt and black pepper to taste, and serve up the bowls.
Top your bowls of thick butternut squash soup with fresh herbs and a few croutons, and enjoy!
There are plenty of delicious ways to top this great recipe. Add a dollop of sour cream if you are not vegan, or add some crumbles of feta cheese. And if you have carved a pumpkin for pumpkin soups and jack-o-lanterns, you can top the soup with roasted salty pumpkin seeds!
Fall Flavor Overload!!
- Quick Release- Using this button will relieve the pressure inside the cooker in about 2 minutes.
- Prep Work- There really is not much prep work for this recipe. So get it all done before you start, and you will be cooking in no time.
- Coconut Milk- To avoid curdling, the milk should be added last and never allowed to boil.
Safely is the first thing that comes to mind. Use a large and sharp knife to remove the ends of the squash. Then get a sharp vegetable peeler and peel the whole gourd. Now, cut the entire thing in half the long way and scoop out all the seeds.
Finally, slice the remaining orange squash into slices and cubes! That's it.
Yes, in fact, the easy way is to use pre-cut butternut squash from the grocery store. But if you want to cut your own fresh squash, go for it.
Now, I could eat bowl after bowl of this rich delicious soup, but you may want to serve something on the side to fill all the tummies around your table. For a lighter lunch, I like to add a salad like my 1905 salad.
Then for a dinner meal, I enjoy this soup with A Rustic Ham Recipe and some Apple Butter Dijon Roasted Brussel Sprouts. Oh, and it is perfect alongside Roasted Turkey made with my Homemade Turkey Rub Recipe.
Really, it pairs well with a chunk of warm bread or just about anything you would like. It is just that good!
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Cover your leftover soup with plastic wrap or seal it in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
Freeze: Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge if you have time, or warm the frozen soup over low heat on the stovetop until it is warmed through.
Reheat: To reheat individual servings, place desired amount in a microwave-safe bowl and reheat. Start with 1 minute and stir. Then add 30-second intervals until heated to your liking.
*If heating on the stove, be careful not to let the soup come to a boil, or the milk will curdle. Stir often.
More Recipes to Try that are Made with Gourds
Fall is a fun time to cook with winter gourds and pumpkin spices! Here are a few other recipes you might like to try.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and thinly sliced (optional)
- 2.5 pound butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 can (15 ounces) coconut milk, (or heavy cream)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt & pepper to taste
- Set Instant Pot to “Saute” and add olive oil, onions, garlic, ginger, and spices and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the carrots and butternut and stir for a minute or two.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients (except coconut milk), place the lid on in lock position, and set the pressure too high for 20 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure then use an immersion blender to blend the soup until creamy.
- Add the coconut milk (or heavy cream) and serve with fresh herbs and croutons.
✱ Nikki's Tips
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.