Simple, southern and made in a flash! Instant Pot Southern Tomatoes and Rice is all the flavors of the south made super easy in one pot.
So I thought I would give this dish a whirl in the Instant Pot. And boy it did not disappoint.
I love the idea that you can dump it all in and it is ready in 15 minutes. No fuss, no frill, all simple flavor!
Ingredients needed for Rice and Tomatoes in the Pressure Cooker
I use a 6 quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker for this recipe, however any electric pressure cooker should work. Just check your manufacturer's requirements for liquid and timing adjustments.
- Bacon grease - This will give that southern flavor you are looking for. If you don't have any you can chop 2 or 3 slices of bacon and render. Then reserve the bacon to garnish. Delish! Or if you don't have it you can use vegetable or canola oil.
- Yellow or Vidalia Onion - A little onion gives so much flavor and just a hint of sweetness to the dish.
- Long grain white rice - This is the selection of choice for a typical southern rice and tomatoes dish. Make sure to rinse it off to wash away some of the starch. This makes for a less mushy rice.
- Chicken stock or broth - This adds another layer of flavor and richness. You can certainly use water or vegetable stick as well.
- Diced tomatoes - You can use petite, diced or even fire roasted for some extra flavor.
- Salt and Pepper - To round out Instant Pot tomatoes and rice you need some saltiness and the spice of the pepper!
How to make Tomatoes and Rice in the Instant Pot
This dish is so simple and packed full of flavor, you'll find this a go to southern side that will please all the taste buds in the family.
- Measure out and rinse your rice through a mesh strainer or colander.
- Then you will want to set the Instant Pot to saute and let in get hot.
- Next add in the bacon grease or oil and the onion. Saute until translucent, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in the rice and saute, while stirring, for about 1 to 2 minutes until golden.
- Pour in chicken stock, salt and pepper. Stir and scrape the bottom to be sure nothing is sticking. This bring up all of the flavors and prevent getting a burn notification.
- Now add in the can of tomatoes. Place the lid on and lock.
- Set for manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once time is up, do a manual release by opening the vent valve and releasing all the pressure.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
How to store leftovers.
- Place in an airtight container or Ziploc bag and store in refrigerator for up to 3 to 5 days.
- Be sure to refrigerate no longer than two hours at room temperature.
- You can freeze in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 1 month. Longer than that the rice will lose its moisture.
- Let thaw in refrigerator and reheat in the microwave.
More Southern Recipes to Try
- Southern Collard Greens
- Black-Eyed Peas
- Best Baby Lima Beans Ever
- Boiled Peanuts
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Southern Green Beans
This super easy and wonderfully tasty dish makes its way to my table often and I hope that your family will enjoy it as well!
Thanks so much for stopping by! Keep cooking and making memories my friends!
LOVE SOUTHERN INSPIRED DISHES COME FOLLOW ALONG!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #SoulfullyMade so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram!
If you loved this recipe please make sure to give it 5 Stars!