This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Soft, fluffy and moist banana nut muffins are packed with sweetened ripe bananas, decadent buttery brown sugar, and topped with a caramelized walnut topping. This easy, no mixer required recipe, comes together in minutes and bakes up perfectly every time!
We have been on a banana kick over at the soulfully made house! My son has declared that if I made these every week he would eat more breakfast! And he’s the one that won’t touch a banana for a million dollars (well maybe that’s not true. He would for a million dollars! lol 😉
He (and, well, all of us over here) loves banana baked goods.
Why you will love these Banana Nut Muffins
- This nut muffin recipe never fails! It’s a simple, EASY, no mixer required recipe that come together in a flash. (Doesn’t everyone on love easy?!)
- The muffins are so moist! Butter makes everything, even these muffins, better y’all (and moist too)! Soft, melt in your mouth muffins is what you get!
- Perfectly sweet! Using ripe bananas makes these magically delicious (or perfectly sweet in this case)!
How to make banana nut muffins
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Make your muffin batter and topping. Mix your dry ingredients in a bowl, then in another bowl, mix your wet ingredients and stir in nuts. In another bowl (or reuse the dry ingredient bowl like I do) mix your topping. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin and sprinkle with topping.
- Bake. In a preheated oven, bake the muffins for 14 to 17 minutes or until the batter comes out clean when a toothpick in inserted.
- Allow to cool and then devour these delicious muffins!
How ripe should the bananas be?
Using overripe bananas add a nice sweetness and flavor that make these muffins so yummy! You want nice brown spots or streaks on them. They should be nice and soft to the touch as well.
If you use under ripe bananas you will find they lack flavor. If you cannot find or don’t have ripe ones on hand – here’s how to quickly ripen bananas for baking.
Variations for the Best Banana Muffins
I know these are Banana Nut Muffins, however there are many ways you can change up these muffins. Here are some ideas:
- Chocolate Chips: Mini Chips are perfect for muffins, but any chocolate chips will work. The smaller ones are less heavy and won’t sink to the bottom as much.
- Dried fruit like cranberries, cherries, or raisins.
- Other Nuts Options: Pecans or Walnuts are the typical, but macadamia or pistachios would be delicious too. Pick your favorite and give it a try!
How to store banana nut muffins with crumb topping:
I love these muffins fresh out of the oven. Nice and warm and absolutely delicious!
I store them at room temperature for 3 to 5 days in an airtight container or ziplock storage bag. If it’s particularly warm or humid, you can also store them in the refrigerator. They will last up to 7 days in the fridge.
They can also be frozen by placing them in a freezer ziplock storage bag and placed in the freezer for up to three months!
- Make sure to use really ripe bananas. You will want nice brown spots on the outside. The more ripe the banana the sweeter they are and will ensure the bananas mash easily.
- Make sure your brown sugar is fresh and soft. This is one of the main ingredients to the recipe. So you want it to be fresh.
- Buy nuts when they are on sale or in bulk and store them in the freezer. This keeps them fresh and you’ll have them to use any time you need them.
- If you don’t love nuts you can leave them out! Then you have amazing banana muffins 😉 !
- Don’t overbeat the batter. This keeps it from getting tough and ya don’t want that.
- It’s all about that topping – banana nut muffins with crumb topping add something a little extra! Extra delicious that is! You’ll love this easy step that adds even more flavor!
(click stars to rate)
Banana Nut Muffins
Banana Nut Muffins
- ½ cup melted butter, slightly cooled
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups mashed bananas, 3 to 4 bananas
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cups walnuts
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 TBSP walnuts, chopped
- Preheat Oven to 350°
- In a bowl mix together dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large bowl mix wet ingredients – whisk melted and slightly cooled butter, and sugar until combined. Add in eggs, mashed bananas, and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in nuts until just combined. Be careful to not overmix.
- Using dry ingredient bowl or another bowl mix together topping (brown sugar and nuts).
- Spray muffin tin with non stick baking spray or line with paper liners. Divide batter evenly amongst 12 to 15 muffins and sprinkle each evenly with topping.
- Bake for 14 to 17 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.