This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken is an easy and versatile dinner recipe! Made with 3 Simple Ingredients – chicken breasts, taco seasoning, and your favorite salsa. Resulting in the most tender and flavorful chicken the whole family will love.
This simple no-fuss meal is perfect as a main dish entree, chicken tacos, burritos, nachos, or served as the protein on top of your salad! It’s even a delicious base for Chicken Tortilla Soup. Really the sky is the limit with this easy crockpot chicken!
Why you’ll love this recipe!
- Deliciousness: What is not to love about this yummy easy slow cooker dinner with chicken and salsa?
- Simplicity: It is a simple dish that can be varied in many ways.
- Versatility: It can be a decadent or healthy choice. That is up to what you put on it.
- A Classic: This recipe is a no-fail classic that can be changed up each time you make it.
One of the best chicken breast recipes I know is this versatile Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken.
How many times do the kids/teens bring home friends? This is the perfect meal starter for a large crowd of hungry kiddos, teens, and adults alike.
Even better, use it for a game night meal or while you are cheering on your favorite team (perfect for tailgating too). Just add tortilla chips, cheese, and all the toppings. That’s nachos, y’all!
What’s more, it is the perfect recipe for families with both picky and healthy eaters, alike. Slow cooker chicken recipes always turn out so tender and juicy; how can you go wrong?
Once the meal is done, you can top the chicken and salsa with various ingredients to make it the perfect meal for each person in the family.
Now I know your mouth is watering. Let’s get into the details.
I just love it when I know I have a slower cooker night. That means I can spend more time with my family because the prep and the clean-up are minimal. So pull out that slow cooker, and let’s get started on Slow Cooker Chicken Salsa tonight!
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Salsa
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and instructions!
Simply place the thawed chicken in the pot.
Open the taco seasoning and sprinkle it generously on top of the chicken. (Now it already smells good!)
Pour the yummy salsa evenly all over the chicken. This will keep the chicken from getting dry, and marinate it while cooking. It’s a win, win!
Now, place the lid on the slow cooker and cook through to 165°. Set it and forget it!
- Want to make your own salsa? Fresh salsa takes time, while salsa in a jar is quick. How much time do you have tonight?
- Choose Gluten-free taco seasoning for the celiac in the family. And be sure to shred a block of cheese rather than using pre-shredded cheese.
If you want to make an impressive Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken bar for guests, add a variety of toppings. Place bowls of shredded cheeses, sour cream, chillis, cilantro, black olives, and so much more.
It sure is! Keep the recipe as it is and place it over a bed of steamed cauliflower, cauliflower rice, or crisp shredded lettuce. You can even use some reduced-fat sour cream if you want.
No problem. Try a smooth salsa with a less chunky texture. And if you have some that like it hot and some that do not, get mild salsa and add a jar of sriracha or hot sauce to the table.
The advice on whether or not to put frozen meat in a slow cooker is mixed. The USDA recommends thawing your meat in the refrigerator before starting a slow cooker recipe. Otherwise, the frozen meat might take too long to cook to a safe temperature (above 165°F) and could allow bacteria to grow. That being said, according to Crock-Pot.com, you can cook frozen meat in a Crock-Pot, but you might need to increase the cooking time.
I have made it from frozen and we are all still alive and kicking, so this will have to be a judgment call you make.
Variations and Substitutions:
- Make it cheesy! Once plated, add a Mexican cheese blend, cheddar, or any cheese you like. You can’t go wrong with cheese. It’s also delicious to place cheese on top of the chicken in the slow cooker and alow it to melt for the last 20 to 30 minutes of cook time. Yum!
- Only have chicken thighs on hand? That’s okay. Slow cooker chicken is delicious with thighs as well.
- No salsa in the pantry? Chop up fresh veggies and use a can of diced tomatos and green chilis. Then, spice it up to your liking!
How to Serve:
Add variety and spice to your easy slow cooker dinner recipes with this Crockpot Chicken Salsa.
This slow cooker chicken is so versatile. You can use it in just about anything from tacos, burritos, enchiladas, taquitos or flautas, quesadillas, and even salads. Don’t forget is it a great base in soups too!
How will you be serving the chicken? This is where you can get really creative with your meal.
I don’t know about you, but I am all about taking the same meal and making it a little different to add variety to dinnertime. This is the perfect meal for that!
Serving whole: If you are serving the chicken in whole pieces, cook on high for 2 hours or for 4 hours on low. Then remove the chicken to a plate and spoon all the goodness of the salsa on top.
Shredding the Chicken: If you like to pull the chicken, cook it in the slow cooker for 3 to 4 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low. Then take two forks, pull or shred the chicken, and mix it with all of the salsa left in the pot.
Keep in mind if you are shredding this chicken, it will really stretch. So you can make two meals out of one dish!
Make tacos the first night and chicken soup the next!
It’s delicious however you serve it up! Start your meal with a fresh bowl of Mexican Fruit Salad. Place the mixture on a bed of white rice or our Easy Instant Pot Mexican Rice for a hearty meal that needs little else.
And, of course, toppings galore is the idea here. Add all of your Mexican favorites!
Storage and Reheating
Once cooled, place the entire mixture in a plastic storage bowl and seal tight. Use in 3 to 4 days.
This dish makes great leftovers. Add it to a bed of lettuce for a delicious and healthy lunch.
If you need a make-ahead for meal planning day, place all ingredients in a gallon-size zip-top bag and seal. Then place it in the freezer. Then the night before you want to make it, thaw in the refrigerator and you are all set. The next morning, place it in the slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours on low.
To reheat individual servings, place desired amount on a microwave-safe dish and reheat. Start with 1 minute and stir. Then add 30-second intervals until heated to your liking.
More of your favorite Mexican Inspired Recipes
(click stars to rate)
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breast, boneless skinless
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups salsa, your favorite
- Place chicken breast in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning on top of chicken breasts.
- Pour salsa evenly over chicken. Place lid on slow cooker until cooked through to 165°.
- Serving whole: Cook 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low- remove from slow cooker to a plate and spoon juices over chicken. You can also melt cheese over the top the last 15 to 30 minutes, if desired. Shredded: Cook about 3 to 4 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low, take two forks and pull in opposite directions to shred and mix with the remaining in juices in the slow cooker.
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.