This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Air Fryer Honey Garlic Chicken Wings will have your taste buds dancing with their nutty garlic flavor balanced by sugary rich honey and perfectly crispy skin! Whether you’re cooking for a crowd or just for yourself, these wings are easy to prepare and will have you coming back for more.
Why We Love This Recipe!
- Made Quicker and Easier: Air frying makes cooking dinner nearly effortless and much easier to clean up after! And as a bonus, air fryer recipes are often healthier than deep frying.
- Awesome for a Crowd: Feed several people these saucy honey garlic chicken wings! Perfect for game-day nibbles or chaotic family gatherings. Not to mention, the recipe is easily doubled.
- Optional Sauce: Alone, these chicken wings are absolutely delish! But the sauce boosts them to the next level. With the optional sauce, switch things up by occasionally omitting or adding it.
Cooking wings couldn’t be easier; frying them in the air fryer is a fool-proof way to ensure crispy wings on the outside coated with sweet, garlicky sauce!
We sure do love a good air fryer recipe here! This incredibly convenient kitchen appliance is the best way to make meals quicker, easier, and healthier.
Even better, the ingredients for these air-fried chicken wings are likely sitting in your kitchen pantry right now! No need to spend a pretty penny on unusual spices and seasonings.
Craving more dishes made faster with less hassle in the air fryer? You’ve come to the right place! Try my juicy and sweet Corn Ribs, tender Sweet Potato Cubes, Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas, or these effortless and classic Air Fryer Hot Dogs.
This air fryer chicken wing recipe is perfect as a tasty appetizer or the main star of the meal. Either way, these honey garlic wings with homemade sauce are sure to please!
Chicken Wings & Honey Garlic Sauce
Variations and Substitutions
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Wings with Honey Garlic Sauce
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and full recipe instructions!
Step 1 | Preheat the air fryer
Start this simple chicken wing recipe by preheating the air fryer to 390°F and set it aside for about two minutes while you move on to other tasks.
If preferred, you may also want to prep the ingredients by mincing the fresh garlic cloves and pre-measuring the seasonings.
Step 2 | Season the wings
Next, remove the packaging from your chicken wings and pat them dry with paper towels. Set out a large bowl and add the wings to it. Then, season them by sprinkling on some garlic powder, freshly minced garlic, salt, ground black pepper, and cornstarch. Gently rub the spices all over the chicken wings until all are completely coated.
Step 3 | Add the chicken to the air fryer
Slide the preheated air fryer back into your workspace and place the chicken wings in the basket. If you want perfect chicken skin, sprinkle or spray olive oil over the chicken wings to make the wings extra golden brown and crispy. You can also use sesame oil or cooking spray.
Step 4 | Fry the wings
Next, cook the seasoned wings for about 12 minutes. Then, turn the chicken wings over and air fry for 12 more minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 175°F. Use a kitchen thermometer inserted into the center of the meat for the most accurate reading.
Cook Note: ( You may sprinkle or spray some olive oil over the chicken wings. We have tested and really didn’t notice a difference. But some people like to do this so it is *OPTIONAL*)
Step 5 | Cook the delicious sauce
While the wings fry, make the honey garlic sauce. Take out a saucepan, and add all the sauce ingredients, including soy sauce, minced garlic, sesame seeds, ground ginger, honey, and water. Then, set the burner to medium heat and whisk the sauce until it begins to boil.
Next, lower the heat to a simmer. For the best results, let the ingredients cook for around 4 to 5 minutes or until the sauce’s texture is nice and thick.
Step 6 | Coat the wings in sauce
Now, place the cooked and perfectly seasoned chicken wings into a large bowl. If you use the same bowl to season the raw wings, remember to thoroughly wash it with plenty of soap.
Pour the freshly made honey garlic sauce on the crisp, tender chicken wings. Then, use tongs to mix it all around, smothering the sticky honey garlic sauce wings in the sauce.
Step 7 | Cook one more time and serve!
This air fryer chicken wings recipe is even better when double-fried! So, toss the coated chicken wings back into the air fryer basket and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes at 390°F. Then, the saucy wings are ready to serve!
- Avoid Overcrowding the Basket – Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook the chicken wings in a few batches. For example, if you have a smaller appliance, cook just three or four wings at a time. You don’t want to overcrowd the basket for the tastiest results and most even frying.
- Be Careful Not to Burn the Sauce– Be sure to reduce the heat for the sauce as soon as it starts to boil, or you may burn the ingredients!
You sure can, but it won’t make or break the recipe. If desired, prep the air fryer basket with olive oil or a small amount of coconut or canola oil. Crisco also works well! Doing this will help the wings not stick to the surface. However, if you sprinkle them with some oil, you can skip this optional step.
There are several methods for extra crispy chicken wings. Try adding a bit of baking powder to the wings before placing them in the air fryer or using canola oil while cooking. You can also experiment with a higher temperature and quicker cooking time.
If using frozen wings, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees and cook for around 10 minutes on each side. Check their doneness with a thermometer and ensure the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
Refrigerate Leftovers: Store your leftover chicken wings in an airtight container in your fridge for up to four days. To reheat, toss them back into the air fryer until warmed, or heat them in the microwave or even the oven.
Freezing Chicken Wings: In a sealed freezer bag or container, wings will last around three months. Let them thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat them in the air fryer.
What to Serve
My Blue Cheese Cole Slaw Recipe perfectly compliments these sweet and savory, delicious wings —I can taste it now! It also goes well with tender and cheesy Cast Iron Skillet Garlic & Parmesan Potatoes.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Crock Pot Mississippi Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Panko Crusted Oven Fried Chicken Drumstick (This one everyone raves over)
- Chicken and Dirty Rice Skillet
- Skillet Lemon Chicken and Potatoes
More Game Day Recipe Ideas
Air Fryer Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds chicken wings, (I used full chicken wings but you can use drumettes and flats)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt, (if not making the sauce, add ½ teaspoon extra)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Honey Garlic Sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Unpack the chicken wings. Pat dry with paper towels and place in a bowl. Sprinkle the garlic powder, minced garlic, salt, ground pepper, and cornstarch over the chicken wings. Gently rub the seasonings to coat all chicken wings.
- Place the chicken wings in the basket of the air fryer. ( You may sprinkle or spray some olive oil over the chicken wings. *OPTIONAL*)
- Next, place in the air fryer at 390°F and cook for 12 minutes. Flip the chicken wings and air fry for an additional 12 minutes or until the internal temperature has reached 175°F.*NOTE* Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook the chicken wings in a few batches
- While it is finished cooking, make the sauce. In a saucepan, add all the ingredients for the sauce: soy sauce, minced garlic, sesame seeds, ground ginger, honey, and water. On medium heat, whisk and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling reduce heat to a simmer for 4 to 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens up.
- Once the wings are cooked, place the cooked chicken wings into a bowl. Pour the honey garlic sauce on the cooked chicken wings. Mix with tongs to coat the wings with the sauce.
- Then place the chicken wings back into the air fryer and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes at 390°F.
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.