Oven-Fried Chicken legs dipped in an egg wash and dredged in a spice-infused panko breadcrumb mixture to create the most finger-licking good Panko Crusted Oven Fried Chicken Drumsticks you have ever eaten.
My husband calls this Out of Control Chicken! Yes, he thinks it is that good! I love when something so simple makes him happy! This recipe is easy, quick, and won't leave a hole in your wallet either!
This chicken really is AMAZING y'all and it really cooks so fast! Using the drumsticks allow for so much flavor and the meat is tender! Who would have thunk that simple ole drumsticks could be so delicious!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Amazingly delicious: This recipe always gets rave reviews whether it's a family dinner or I serve it to company!
- Versatile: I often make oven fried chicken with drumsticks, but thighs or breasts work well too. Whatever you use will give you the most flavorful panko fried chicken ever.
- Economical: Using drumsticks is a great way to feed the family for less and not skimp on taste!
You will find this deliciousness much more often at my house now that my daughter has moved out. She is a no bone-in meat kinda girl. She entertained the thought of no meat all at one time! I almost felt like a failure as a mother lol! Just kidding. But anywho, I used to always have to make her a plain ole chicken breast (it's really delish too) whenever we ate something so wild as this!
- Chicken Drumsticks (legs)
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Spices (Salt, Pepper, Oregano, Paprika, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder)
- Olive Oil
How to make the best oven fried chicken legs
Now y'all get ready for all the hard steps in this recipe (WINK WINK). Not really this is so easy you will be wondering why you haven't been making this all your life!
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and instructions!
STEP 1 | Prepare skillet or baking dish
Preheat oven to 425 °.
Place butter in the cast iron or oven safe skillet (You can use a baking dish if you want).
Take the skillet or dish and place it in the oven to melt butter while you coat the chicken. You can also do this on the stovetop. That is how I start my skillet cornbread too!
STEP 2 | Dip in egg wash
Get out two shallow dishes. A pie plate or baking dish works well. Today I just used two 9 X 9 baking dishes. You know what I grabbed first out of the cabinet!
Whisk together the egg and water.
Get those chicken legs all coated in this bath. This prepares them for grabbing onto all those breadcrumbs and holding on.
STEP 3 | Dredge in panko parmesan spice mixture
In the other dish combine your breadcrumbs with the Parmesan cheese and all those delicious spices. Kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and wait - Oregano you ready for this deliciousness?
I know I am terrible at jokes!! But, I'm joking about how good this is.
STEP 4 | Bake and enjoy
Remove heated pan with all that melted butter from the oven.
Place chicken in (not touching)! They don't like that. This keeps everything nice and open and ready to get crispy.
Drizzle the olive oil on top. I don't measure, just a drizzle to make them sizzle! Cook for 25 minutes and then flip and cook for 20 minutes!
I like to sprinkle mine when they come out with a little parsley for color! Perfect Oven Fried Chicken
Panko bread crumbs are Japanese-style bread crumbs made from white bread and processed into a larger flake rather than a small crumb, then it is dried. This results in a lighter, airier bread crumb that absorbs less grease and stays crunchy and crispy. Perfect for panko crusted chicken!
You can substitute, chicken breasts or thighs - boneless or bone-in. Chicken wings will also work for this as well.
Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts: Cook 20 minutes, turn over, and cook an additional 20 minutes.
Bone-in Skin-on Chicken Breasts: Cook 30 minutes, turn and cook an additional 20 minutes.
Chicken Wings: Cook 15 minutes, turn over, and cook 15 more minutes.
Just keep in mind cook times will vary depending on the size of the chicken. This is a good rule of thumb. You can always test the chicken's doneness by using an instant-read thermometer internal temperature of 165°. Also, juices will run clear when the chicken is done.
I really love the butter for the base in cooking these oven-fried chicken legs. I have tried vegetable oil and it will work, while the butter really gives you the best results for flavor. I do drizzle the top with olive oil. However, you can use melted butter for this step too.
While I think this is the perfect flavor combination if you want to try other spice combinations, here are a few suggestions:
- Spicy Baked Chicken - Add a little chili powder or red pepper flakes to the mix.
- Lemon Garlic Baked Chicken: Lemon pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- BBQ Fried Chicken: BBQ rub, kosher salt, and pepper. You can even add a dash of liquid smoke to the egg wash for more smokiness.
- Using a bone-in chicken helps keep the chicken moist. However, you can use a boneless chicken with good results.
- Make sure to coat the chicken well with the crumb mixture. Turn it over while coating and cover all sides.
- Use a cast-iron skillet if you have it. It will cook more evenly and also helps achieve that crispy oven-baked chicken you are looking for.
- Leave space around the chicken for the heat to bake on all sides. This gives you a crunchier chicken.
- Flip the chicken carefully when turning. This keeps the crust in tack. You don't want to lose any of the crunch!
More Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken
- Skillet Lemon Chicken and Potatoes
- Alice Springs Chicken
- Cheddar Chicken Casserole
- Crock Pot Mississippi Chicken
- Cashew Chicken Casserole by Norine's Nest
- Carolina Gold BBQ Grilled Chicken by Julias Simply Southern
Oven Fried Panko Crusted Chicken Drumsticks
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano, dried
- olive oil to drizzle on top of chicken
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place butter in cast iron or oven safe skillet and put in oven to melt. (This can be done on stove top as well)
- In a shallow dish whisk one egg and water together.
- In another shallow dish combine panko crumbs, parmesan, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano.
- Dip the drumsticks first in the egg mixture and then in the panko, pressing to mixture into drumsticks to coat on all sides.
- Place drumsticks into the skillet of melted butter. Drizzle the drumsticks with olive oil.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes, turn chicken and bake for 20 mote minutes.
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.