Alice Springs Chicken Recipe - an Outback Copycat dish you can make right at home. Honey mustard marinated chicken piled with tender mushrooms, bacon, and lots of delicious cheese.
This week I am participated in a food blogger recipe swap of sorts. They call it Freaky Friday. It's a time when a few fellow bloggers are assigned a secret sister of sorts. We pick a recipe from each other's blog to recreate in our own kitchens. Thank you Michaela at An Affair from the Heart for hosting
I was lucky to get Brandi from Aunt Bee's Recipes. We are both southern cooks so I immediately felt a kinship. Her story is inspiring! After marrying she realized she really didn't know much about cooking. So she set off on a mission to learn. From being married to having beautiful children you sort of learn by trial and error. And boy did she ever!
Brandi is so very sweet and has the most delicious recipes. If you have not checked out her blog make sure to go over and visit! I sure have enjoyed looking through her amazing recipes! Her Kentucky Butter Cake had me drooling a little and take a look at her Gorgonzola Steak with Pasta - just wow!
To choose just one was difficult, but I went with her delicious Outback Restaurant inspired Alice Springs Chicken. It is one of those dishes you just cannot resist! From the juicy tangy chicken to the ooey gooey topping, it's a divine topped trio of mushrooms, bacon, and of course cheese. Who would want to resist that!!!! Not me - so let's jump right in to cooking this wonderful recipe!
How to make the honey mustard marinade
Honey mustard is one of those things that is so delicious to make fresh at home. It tastes so much better than store bought and is so easy. All you need to do is combine a few ingredients and giving it a good stir.
For this recipe you need Dijon mustard, honey, mayo, and a little fresh lemon juice. I cut the honey down a little so there is a little more tang, but you can play with that flavor profile if you like it on the sweeter side.
Can I make alice springs chicken on the grill
Actually Outback says theirs is cooked on a wood fired grill. You can definitely adapt my pan seared and finished in the oven version. Once you marinate the chicken, I would recommend bringing it to room temperature before grilling. Then remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off excess honey mustard and grill for 4 to 7 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of your chicken.
Then move the chicken to an ovenproof skillet or baking dish to finish in the oven, but you could certainly finish on the grill in a skillet as well.
Is alice springs chicken low carb?
Not really, but IT CAN BE. The honey mustard contains sweet notes that add carbs to this dish. However, you could leave it off and it would still be delicious or you could adapt it for a more carb friendly version. Here's a low carb honey mustard option
Low Carb Honey Mustard Alternative
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsps Dijon
- 18 drops liquid stevia
- ½ tsp paprika (optional)
What to serve with alice springs chicken dish
Outback serves theirs with french fries and that is certainly easy. My family's favorite is mashed potatoes. I usually make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes or a Crock Pot version of Mashed Potatoes - both are super creamy and delicious. We also like steamed broccoli with it as well!
How to Store leftover Chicken.
Place the chicken in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days. (If you are lucky enough to have leftovers ?!)
Ideas for leftover alice springs chicken recipe
- Honey Mustard Chicken Salad - chop up the chicken and toppings add in mayo and serve on a croissant or toast for loaded chicken salad amazingness.
- Chicken Quesadilla - chop up the leftover chicken and toppings and place on top of a tortilla. Drizzle some of the reserved honey mustard. Heat on a skillet until warm and delicious. (They have this on the menu at Outback too)
- Alice Springs Chicken on a Bed of Greens - Chop into bite sized pieces. Fill a bowl with chopped lettuce greens. Top the greens with spoonful of chicken, add in tomatoes, croutons, and maybe some green onion. Serve with honey mustard or ranch to change it up a bit.
- Alice Springs Chicken Wrap - Grab a wrap and layer chicken, fresh lettuce, tomatoes and drizzle with honey mustard or ranch.
Other delicious chicken recipes to try
- Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Casserole
- Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Oven Fried Panko Crusted Chicken
LOVE SOUTHERN INSPIRED DISHES COME FOLLOW ALONG!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #SoulfullyMade so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram!
If you loved this recipe please make sure to give it 5 Stars!
Take a look at all of our 2020 Freaky Friday Winter Edition Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart - Braised Beef Short Ribs with Red-Eye Gravy
- Aunt Bee's Recipes - Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken Tacos
- Bowl Me Over - Honey Sriracha Chicken
- Hostess at Heart - Chicken Marsala
- House of Nash Eats - Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Lemoine Family Kitchen - Vegetarian Pot Pie Soup
- Life Currents - Pepper Jelly Cheese Balls
- Soulfully Made - Alice Springs Chicken (Outback Copycat Recipe)
- Take Two Tapas - Chocolate Spoons
- The Fresh Cooky - Sweet Molasses Brown Bread Rolls
- The Speckled Palate - Valentine's Day Dessert Board
- West Via Midwest - Grasshopper Pie
- Who Needs a Cape? - Air Fryer Loaded Mini Meatloaf