Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole is a super easy classic dish the whole family will love! It's creamy chicken topped with a buttery ritz poppy seed topping. This hearty meal is comfort food perfect for a simple weeknight dinner.
It's hard to beat a good casserole on a busy night!
Why you’ll love this Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole Recipe:
- Simple Ingredients: This chicken casserole is made with simple ingredients you most likely have in your pantry or easily availble at the grocery store.
- Prep Ahead: Make this ahead and stick it in the oven when you are ready for dinner.
- Creamy Goodness: Ultimate comfort food is what you find in this dish! Chicken with a delicious creamy sauce topped with buttery crunchy yum!
I cannot quite remember who first made this recipe for me. I am pretty sure it was when I had one of my kids (that was a long time aga y'all)! There were so many amazing people in my life who blessed us with meals after the birth of our children. Do they do that where you live? It's a Godsend for sure!
This poppy seed chicken is so family-friendly and perfect for sharing with others whether it be a potluck, for a family in need of a meal, or around your dinner table.
- Chicken breasts
- Cream of chicken soup
- Sour cream
- Ritz crackers
- Poppy Seeds
How to make Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and instructions!
- Prepare Chicken: You can either cook chicken, use leftover chicken or use a rotisserie chicken. I often make mine with this Instant Pot Chicken Recipe.
- Combine Filling: In a large bowl mix together cream of chicken soup and sour cream. Add in chicken and stir together. Pour into baking dish.
- Butter Cracker Poppy Seed Topping: In a small bowl melt combine melted butter, crushed crackers, and poppy seeds. Spread evenly over the creamy chicken mixture.
- Bake: Place baking dish in a preheated 350° oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the top is golden brown.
- Cook chicken ahead of time or use a rotisserie chicken for easy preperation.
Freaquently Asked Questions
If you do not have leftover chicken or want to purchase a rotisserie, there are a couple of ways to prepare chicken breasts for this casserole.
Saute: Place in a saute pan with 2 tablespoons of butter and saute until chicken is cooked through, juices run clear but not overcooked. The cook time can depend on the size of chicken breasts but a good rule of thumb is 5 to 7 minutes.
Boil: Place chicken in boiling water for 20 minutes.
Bake: Bake on a sheet pan at 400° for 20 minutes or until juices run clear.
Instant Pot Chicken Breasts (fresh and frozen): Cooking chicken in the IP is quick and makes the chicken so flavorful. It is great for food prep.
Storage and Reheating
- Leftovers: Cover with foil or plastic wrap or place in an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- Make-Ahead: This meal is a perfect make-ahead meal. Simply put together uncooked ahead of time (day before or morning of) and refrigerate. Remove and bake.
- Freeze Ahead Uncooked: Cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil and place in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to use it, remove it from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator overnight to thaw. Bake according to directions adding about 10 to 15 minutes to cook time as you will be baking from a cold state.
- You can also freeze cooked leftovers the same way.
- To reheat a small portion, place desired amount on a microwave-safe dish and reheat. Start with 1 minute and stir. Then add 30-second intervals until heated to your liking.
- Reheating a large portion in the oven. Cover with foil (so as not to dry out and burn the topping) and place in an oven-safe dish. Cook in a preheated 350° oven for 20 minutes or until heated through.
More Casserole Recipes You'll Love
Hungry for more easy, home-cooked, delicious recipes?
Sign up for my free recipe club to get family-friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing daily meal-time inspiration on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole
- 3 to 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (10 ounce) cream of chicken soup
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 2 sleeves Ritz crackers, (You can use just 1 sleeve if desired)
- 1 tablespoon poppy-seeds
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees and spray 9 X 13 dish with cooking spray.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper & garlic to taste. Saute in pan on stove top in 2 tablespoons of butter until done or juices run clear.
- In a bowl mix cream of chicken soup and sour cream until comblined. Add chicken and stir together.
- Place mixture in baking dish.
- Crush crackers and then combine with poppy seeds and butter. You can crush crackers directly in the sleeve and then pour into bowl to combine. Then spread cracker mixture evenly on top of casserole.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
Amy Nash says
We love this comfort food classic! Just like mom used to make! The crunch from the poppy seeds is the best!
I haven't seen this recipe in years and once I saw it I had to make it again! I love the poppy seeds and it's so much better than my mom used to make! Don't tell on me please!
Nikki Lee says
Thank you, Jennifer! This one is a classic for sure! And my lips are sealed!
Yes, this is one of our favorite recipes and I too had a dear friend bring it to me when we had one of our boys. Love that this is simpler and comes together quickly, it was so delicious!
Michaela Kenkel says
This was so easy and my family loved it!! Thanks for another "keeper" of a recipe! I will be making this one again and again.
Nikki Lee says
I am so glad your family loves it as much as mine does! Thanks for stopping by to let me know!
Sandra Shaffer says
I made this in an Instant Pot and it came out great. So quick and easy and my whole family loved it!
Nikki Lee says
Awesome! I am going to have to try that soon!
Julie Menghini says
We loved this chicken casserole. It was so easy to put together and creamy delicious!
Nikki Lee says
Thank you so much, Julie! That creamy texture gives this recipe that comfort food goodness!
Mary M says
We serve it over biscuits!
Nikki Lee says
Mary that's a perfect way to enjoy them!
Kristen from The Road to Domestication says
Chicken and poppy seed - what a neat combo! And I always have rotisserie chicken left over - this would be perfect for that! Thanks so much for taking the time to link up with us over at the #HomeMattersParty - we hope to see you again on Friday 🙂 Feel free to bring a friend or two!