Dorito Taco Salad Recipe – the ultimate layers of seasoned ground beef, lettuce, cheese, your favorite taco toppings and crunchy Dorito chips. All tossed together in a delicious tangy dressing.
I think I could eat a taco salad everyday of the week. Does everyone else out there love a taco salad as much as I do? With this salad you will never get bored! I can think of about 100 ways to change it up.
This classic salad was popular for many of us growing up. Can we call it a retro salad? I think so, but my heart keeps telling me I am not nearly old enough! ?
It was often found it at church potlucks, large family gatherings, or at a many picnics I attending. We also ate it on regular ole day for lunch and sometimes dinner. It really is one that never goes out of style (in my humble opinion).
The thing I love about it is you can build layers with the basics and change out flavors and toppings or even the dressing. If you don’t like something leave it out altogether (my son votes no beans ever), or replace it with something else you love.
I think momma always made it with Catalina, but I’ll give you some suggestions for changing that out that we like we do at our house.
DOrito Taco Salad Dressing Recipe
I like to make a Homemade Catalina Dressing. It comes together so easily and quickly. It’s really fresh and a little less sweet. However, you cannot go wrong with store bought if you have it in the pantry and want to use that.
Here is what you need for homemade dressing:
- red wine vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- onion powder
- olive or canola oil
This dressing is simply made. Grab your blender and throw in all the ingredients but the oil. Give it a blend and then slowly add in oil until emulsified. If you do not have a blender, you can also pour all the ingredients in a mason jar, secure on the lid, and give a rigorous shake.
Taco Salad Ingredients
- Seasoned Ground Beef – Use a lean ground beef if possible. Make sure to drain any excess fat and then season with taco seasoning.
- Bean Layer – I like to use pinto beans or black beans. You could also use chili beans or whatever is your favorite. If you don’t care for beans change it our for fresh corn, thawed frozen corn or drained canned corn.
- Lettuce – You may use a iceberg lettuce or any leafy green lettuce you enjoy. Even a bagged salad work and makes this even simpler to assemble.
- Cheese – Cheddar cheese is always a great fit. You could use a white and sharp cheddar, or a colby blend. Even taco or mexican blends work marvelously.
- Tomatoes – I like cherry or grape tomatoes halved or quartered. They are sweet, ripe and just usually delicious.
- Black Olives – Add a pop of color and flavor with black olives. If you don’t like them leave them off.
- Doritos Chips – These are the star of the show! They give crunch, flavor and lots of texture to the salad. They are a must in my book! If your trying to be a healthier you could go for the baked version. But I say splurge on the real thing ?!
- Taco Topping Suggestions or Add Ins – Sour cream, cilantro, and avocado are delicious mix ins for to add more flavor and textures.
How to make The Ultimate DOrito Taco Salad
Start by cooking your ground beef in a skillet. I like to use a nice lean ground beef. Crumble and cook until browned. Drain off any excess fat on paper towels. Then return ground beef back to skillet and add in taco seasoning and water. Let it cook until thickened.
Create your layers. I add in the lettuce and then create sections on the top to set out on the table.
Next to add a zesty creamy component I like to add a tablespoon or so of ranch dressing mix to the sour cream. It gives the salad an extra bite. Totally optional, but highly recommended.
Crunch up the Doritos to toss in.
Then there is the dressing to finish off the salad. Catalina Dressing is a traditional find on this salad. It has some tang and loads of flavor! But don’t forget you can use whichever dressing you like.
Ideas to change up Taco Salad dressing
Change the taste by changing the dressing!
- You can mix your sour cream with salsa to dress the salad.
- Salsa Verde is also a great one too.
- French dressing still has a tang but a little more creamy.
- Thousand Island is so so tasty on this too.
- You can also go for a creamy ranch. I love it with a heavy dose of salsa on this too!
There really is no hard or fast rule on this salad. You have your basic components, but you can always add or take away so all your favorites are included.
Now give it a toss and serve it right up.
Can I make Dorito Taco Salad Recipe Ahead?
I recommend if you are making adhead to layer the taco meat in the bottom. Then your lettuce and veggies as desired.
Hold the wet ingredients like sour cream and dressing and the Doritos to add just before serving.
Does this salad store well after serving?
Unfortunately no, if it is all tossed together. If you know you will have leftovers and want to store them, I recommend serving without tossing in the wet ingredients and Doritos. Put them on the side in pretty bowls for people to top themselves.
You can also create a buffet of all the ingredients and let people create their own. That is always fun too! This way you can also serve a variety of toppings and dressing options if desired.
Delicious Taco Inspired Dishes
- Taco Spaghetti Bake
- Ground Beef Doritos Casserole
- Instant Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Jalapeno Cornbread Taco Pie
- Walking Tacos
LOVE SOUTHERN INSPIRED DISHES COME FOLLOW ALONG!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #SoulfullyMade so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram!
If you loved this recipe please make sure to give it 5 Stars!