This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This simple Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe made in just a few minutes is a great blend to keep stocked in your spice cabinet. You know exactly what’s in it, and there are no preservatives or unnecessary salts and sugars. Not to mention, it’s absolutely delicious and makes the best tacos!
Why We Love This Recipe!
- Quick and Easy: Make this 5-minute recipe with just a handful of spices faster than it would take you to go to your local grocery store!
- Versatile Use: Taco seasoning isn’t just for taco meat. Get creative and use the seasoning for pulled chicken, wings, and other dishes that could use a flavor boost.
- Flavorful Seasoning: This homemade version is a delicious blend of smoky and savory spices, perfect for your next Taco Tuesday!
- Healthier Choice: No MSG, sugar, extra salt, or preservatives!
Today’s homemade recipe is an excellent alternative to your favorite store-bought taco seasoning, having no preservatives or unnecessary, unhealthy ingredients. If you want to discover more homemade recipes that taste better than any grocery store product, you’ve come to the right place!
Try my flavor-packed Catalina Salad Dressing that doubles as a chicken marinade, this tasty blend of spices in my Homemade Turkey Rub just in time for Thanksgiving, and my small-batch fresh Strawberry Jam that makes for the perfect holiday gift!
Variations and Substitutions
How To Make Taco Seasoning (Better than Store-bought)
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and full recipe instructions!
Step 1 | Combine ingredients and store
First, take out your measuring spoons and spices and get ready to measure and mix.
Now, add all of the spices and herbs to a small bowl and mix to evenly combine. Yes, you mix all the ingredients together.
Store in a tightly sealed container or jar and keep in a room temperature location away from direct sunlight, like the pantry or spice cabinet.
How to use your own taco seasoning mix
When ready, cook a pound of meat, like ground beef, chicken, or turkey, and add three teaspoons of seasoning with ¼ cup of water.
Then, reduce the heat and simmer the seasoned meat until the liquid evaporates.
About one pound of ground meat makes five delicious servings.
- Mason Jar– Instead of a small bowl, use a jar! Add the ingredients to a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid. Seal the jar, then shake to combine the spices and herbs. Then, store it away for the next time you craving tacos!
- If you’re serving a crowd on taco night or enjoy tacos often, double the ingredients to make a big batch.
Yes. For the best flavor, brown and break up the ground beef or other meat before adding the seasoning. Drain any unwanted fat, then sprinkle on the seasoning, add some water, and cook the meat until the water evaporates.
When a recipe calls for one packet of taco seasoning, use about one ounce or three tablespoons of your homemade seasoning. Most store-bought packets contain about an ounce. Usually, one packet will season a pound of ground beef well. I use 3 teaspoons of this recipe for 1 pound of beef.
Most store-bought brands contain salt, and so does our homemade recipe. However, salt doesn’t make or break the recipe. If you prefer less salt or none, feel free to reduce or omit the ingredient. The nice thing about home spice blends is you have complete control over the salt content.
Seasoning ground beef for tacos is the most common way to use this homemade recipe. The ground beef may also be used to top a taco salad, fill a quesadilla, or bulk up a burrito. Additionally, taco seasoning is tasty on ground turkey or pulled chicken for tacos, Tex-Mex recipes, and more. Taco seasoning can also be added to a soup to make taco soup or sprinkled on sauteed veggies! Try it as a fajita seasoning! It is even a great dry rub, too!
Storage: Store this easy recipe in a cool, dark, and dry place in an airtight container, like a small spice jar or mason jar. The seasoning will last up to 6 months before the flavor begins to degrade.
What to Serve with Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
Use this simple spice blend to make all kinds of delicious Mexican Recipes, like my Taco Spaghetti Bake, Jalapeno Cornbread Taco Pie, Dorito Taco Salad, or this irresistible Instant Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta!
More Recipes to Use With This Taco Seasoning Blend
Marinades, Sauces, and Seasonings to Try
Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Gather all the ingredients and mix them together in a small bowl or plate.
- Add 3 teaspoons of seasonings with ¼ cup of water to 1 pound of cooked ground beef, chicken, or turkey. Simmer until the liquid evaporates.
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.