It’s officially summer and what says summer better than an All American Dog – Baked Chili Cheese Hot Dogs with Homemade Chili Sauce that is!!
This is truly one of my husbands favorite things to eat… A Hot Dog – Go Figure! Not a big juicy steak or Italian meal fit for a king!! NO – A HOT DOG! He grew up eating his dogs boiled. That totally grosses me out! I want mine grilled or pan fried!!! But we both agree these Baked Chili Cheese Hot Dogs are over the top delicious.
What is your favorite way to dress your DOG? There are so many choices there’s no way I can remember them all!!! Like Chicago style or maybe with some Kraut (My mom’s fav). Are you a ketchup or mustard (I am raising my hand here) LOVER? Oh and have you ever put mayo on it??
Speaking of Mayo!
There’s a great debate, you know, on the best type of MAYO in town!! Head over to join our Foodie Friends of Soulfully Made to weigh in on this one! Even if you don’t want to vote, come on over an join us anyway! It’s lots of fun, food talk , and more!!
Do you do onions, relish (sweet or dill), or maybe some peppers? Head on down to the comment section and let me know what makes your little heart sing on your frankfurter!! I really do want to know friends!!!
THE CHILI SAUCE
Start with your ground beef, add your chili powder and spices, pour in tomato sauce, ketchup and water. Squeeze in your mustard and dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Sir it all up really good!!! Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
Get Ready to Bake
Meanwhile Pan fry your hot dogs for about 5 minutes to brown and cook a bit.
Grab your buns, put 8 buns in a 9 x 13 dish. Top each bun with a hot dog. Then spoon on some delicious chili. Sprinkle with sharp magically divine cheddar cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until the hot dogs start to curl and cheese is all melted.
Want to stay up to date on what going on!
I’d love for you to join along CLICK HERE and start receiving the Soulfully Made Newsletter! I promise I won’t overload your inbox!
- 8 hot dog buns
- 8 hot dogs (I use all beef)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Homemade Hot Dog Chili Sauce
- 1 lb ground round or beef
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 5 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 to 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
Homemade Hot Dog Chili Sauce
- Place ground beef in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Mash the beef with a potato masher, or fork. Add chili powder and spices, pour in tomato sauce, ketchup and water. Squeeze in mustard and dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Sir well and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
Baked Chili Cheese Hot Dogs
- Meanwhile Pan fry your hot dogs for about 5 minutes to brown and partially cook.
- Place hot dog buns in a 9 x 13 dish. Top each bun with a hot dog. Then spoon on chili. Sprinkle on cheddar cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until the hot dogs start to curl and cheese is all melted.