When you cut into this Hot Chocolate Poke Cake you will be delighted with devil’s food cake poked with marshmallow fluff, decadent hot fudge, and hot chocolate with mini marshmallow goodness.
The top is drizzled with more of the gooey marshmallow, hot chocolate whipped topping, and hot fudgy mixture, then it is sprinkled with more marshmallows. Need I say more?
It is devilishly yummy!
Why you’ll love this recipe!
- Chocoate Heaven- Yes, this recipe is all the yumminess of a cup of hot choclate and more!
- Semi-Homemade- Because it callls for a box mix, packets and jars, the cake is easy to make and less clean up than a scratch cake. But, you still made it!
- Moistness Overload- Poke cakes are moist to the uttmost degree. The cake is already good, then the hot fudge and marshmallow fluff are infused throughout the cake with the "poke" method. No dry cakes here, y'all!
Out of necessity comes genius… sometimes! And this recipe does not disappoint. My entire family loves chocolate and poke cake. I have already made them Oreo Brownie Poke Cake and Snickers Poke Cake, so what’s is a good mama to do?
Back to the pantry, I GO! This time, I had a devil's food cake mix, and all the makings for hot chocolate leftover from a cold night treat. PERFECT! Hot Chocolate Poke Cake it is!
And the result - well, see for yourself!
How to make Hot Chocolate Poke Cake
✱ Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact ingredients and instructions!
Step 1 | Prepare Dish and Oven
First, you'll need to Preheat the oven to the temperature indicated on the box of cake mix and spray the inside of the pan with cooking spray.
Step 2 | Mix and Bake the Cake
Just follow the directions on the box and bake the cake to perfection.
Step 3 | Poke the Cake
When the cake is done cooking, you can poke the entire surface with holes. Then get ready to drizzle the moisture right in.
Step 4 | Heat and Pour the Drizzle
Now you can warm the marshmallow fluff and water, mix, and pour over the cake. Then do the same with the hot fudge sauce, but leave a bit out for the final topping of the cake. Now smooth all that out on top.
Step 5 | Refrigerate
Place the cake in the refrigerator so that the flavors will be absorbed.
Step 6 | Prepare the Topping
Mix the whipped topping and instant hot chocolate mix together and spread all over the cooled cake. Then it is time to go crazy with the hot fudge and mini marshmallows on the top.
See, I told you this recipe was devilishly delightful!
- You can use homemade whipped cream in place of whipped topping.
- To get that swirled or marbled look on top, simply drag a skewer or toothpick through the gooey toppings in a swirling pattern back and forth. Then add the marshmallows!
- Hot fudge or chocolate can burn easily. Be sure to microwave or heat the chocolate as directed in the recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Poke cakes were invented in 1981 with the Jell-O brand. The cakes are poked with a straw or spoon handle to create holes for a pudding, jello, or sauce of some sort to be absorbed by the cake. The result is moistness overload and a thing of beauty.
That's easy. If you have run out of cooking spray, coat the entire pan with butter, or shortening instead to grease the pan. (Like they used to do!)
I learned this trick years ago. This ooey-gooey confection can get a bit messy. So, as you cut the slices for your people, wipe off the knife between slices and run the blade under hot water. The warm knife will slide right through!
Variations and Substitutions:
Make Ahead Instructions:
This is definitely a cake you can make the day before.
- Bake the cake, allow it to cool completely. Then cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Then poke, drizzle, and top on the day you want to serve.
- Or, complete all steps to step 5 and refrigerate. Then add the toppings the day you serve.
- If you are not poking, drizzling, and topping the cake, it can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days before it begins to dry out.
- When completed up to the topping phase, you can store in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
- If the whipped topping and marshmallows have been added, you will want ot get to eating it as soon as you can! But it will still keep in the fridge for 3 days or so.
This cake will freeze well for up to 2 months without the whipped topping and marshmallows.
- Double wrap this delicious cake with freezer safe wrap, or single wrap and place in a freezer-safe zip bag.
- Allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then top the cake as directed.
How to serve Hot Chocolate Poke Cake
This cake is a work of art on its own. But if you'd like to ramp it up even more...
- Add a scoop of vanilla icecream on the side.
- Craving S'mores? Dust the plate and top of the cake with grahm cracker crumbs!
- Pair your serving with a warm cup of coffee (maybe decaf) for the perfect end to an evening.
More Delicious Poke Cake Recipes
Hot Chocolate Poke Cake
- 1 9 X 13 Baking Pan
- 1 box devil's food cake mix + eggs, oil, and water, ingredients listed on box
- 16 ounce marshmallow fluff
- ¼ cup water
Hot Fudge Layer
- 11.75 ounce hot fudge sauce, 1 Jar
Hot Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 2 packets (1.25 ounce) hot chocolate mix (with mini marshmallow bits)
- 12 ounces whipped topping
- Remaining hot fudge
- Mini Marshmallows
- Marshmallow Bits
- Bake the cake in a 9 x 13 inch dish according to directions listed on the box
- When the cake is baked, using the handle of a wooden spoon poke the cake, making the holes about an inch apart. Do not poke it all the way to the bottom just about ⅔ of the way.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, add the marshmallow fluff and ¼ c water. Heat the mixture in 15-second intervals or until smooth and pourable.
- Pour the fluff mixture over the poke cake slowly, making sure to get it into the holes.
- Next, open the jar of hot fudge sauce and microwave on high for 30 seconds, or until smooth. Reserve about 2 tablespoon of the hot fudge for the garnish. Spread the hot fudge over the marshmallow fluff and smooth out on top.
- Place into the refrigerator to set and allow flavors to be absorbed by the cake (about 2 hours).
- Combine the whipped topping and instant hot chocolate mix. Spread over the cooled cake.
- Decorate with hot fudge and mini marshmallow bits.
Soulfully Made is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.