Collard Greens au Gratin combines a lusciously creamy sauce topped with a cheesy panko crust. With each bite, this side dish is full of crunch and a decadently creamy goodness that is sure to make this southern veggie the star of of your holiday table.
Collard Greens are a staple at our Holiday meal each year. This year I thought I would fancy up these beautiful leafy greens and with a little spin off on my Spinach au Gratin. Now, Collard Greens are delightful all on their own, but boy after making this version I might be eating some of my own words. Like “all collards needs is a little vinegar and pepper sauce.”
It’s a southern thing ya’ll, but so is cheese and breading right??? So, I guess I won’t be saying that anymore!! 🙂
The crunch in each bite of creamy collards keeps you coming back for another bite and another and just one more … This Southern Tradition just got kicked up a notch and I am here to share it with you my friend!! Oh and I guess I will be sharing with my family too 😉
10 Great Holiday Side Dish and Dessert Recipes??
- Baked Mac N Cheese
- Easy Coconut Cream Pie
- Instant Pot Garlic Butter Green Beans
- Instant Pot Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cup Pie
- Shelly’s Pasta Salad
- Southern Style Green Beans
- Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
- Strawberry Margarita Pizza
Give this a try you won’t regret it – plus find a some great Holiday Casseroles my Sunday Supper friends are sharing below!
What holiday meal traditions do you share with your Family?
Does your family stick to a traditional meal each year or do you change it up a bit?? And do you share in the making of the meal or does one person host and cook the entire meal?? Head on down to the comments or join us on social media and let us know!
Pin this – Collard Greens Au Gratin – for later!
Collard Greens Au Gratin
- 1 pound Collard Greens, stems removed and torn (I buy baged in store and already cut and washed)
- 3 strips bacon, roughly cut
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- salt to taste
- pinch sugar
- few dashes of hot sauce (optional)
Sauce and Topping
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1 cup six cheese italian or parmesan cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup asiago cheese, grated and divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot or dutch oven fry bacon until lightly browned and cooked. Add in rest of Collard Green ingredients and bring to a boil then reduce to medium hear and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Drain in colander and place on cutting board and finely chop. Wrap with paper towels and press to remove water.
- In a sauce pot bring milk, cream and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Melt butter in a large cast iron skillet. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add flour, whisk to combine and cook for 1 minute. Add cream mixture and whisk until mixed. Add nutmeg, 1/2 cup of Asiago and 1/2 cup Italian or Parmesan cheese. Whisk until cheese is melted.
- Add collard greens and mix well. Remove from burner.
- In a bowl combine panko crumbs and remaining cheese. Sprinkle evenly over the collard mixture. Place in oven and bake for 30 to 40 minute or until is golden brown.
- Remove and Serve.
Other Side Dish Recipes
Come on over, be Social and share how your family celebrates!
Get Free Recipes from Soulfully Made delivered right to your inbox!
Click Here to Subscribe
Holiday Casserole Recipes
- Apple Crumble French Toast Casserole by Pies and Plots
- Holiday Breakfast Casserole by The Freshman Cook
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole with Crescent Rolls by Sunday Supper Movement
- Christmas Chilaquiles with Eggs by Our Good Life
- Buttery Baked Bread Dressing by Food Lust People Love
- Collard Greens Au Gratin by Soulfully Made
- French Potato Gratin by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Ham & Cheese Corn Casserole (Spoon Bread) by Palatable Pastime
- Leftover Turkey Noodle Casserole by Crickets Confections
- Lower Carb Green Bean Casserole by Positively Stacey
- Simple Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole (Dairy-Free) by Bites of Wellness
- Turkey and Noodles by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Brussels Sprouts Gratin with Quinoa by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Cheesy Orzo Pasta Bake by Caroline’s Cooking
- Mexican Cornbread Casserole by Restless Chipotle
- Shrimp Pineapple Rice Casserole by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Make Ahead Spaghetti Western Chili Casserole by Kudos Kitchen by Renee